TechSpot

Seagate and Western Digital now shipping uber thin hard drives

By Shawn Knight
Jun 4, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Intel has arguably been the talk of the town with Computex in full swing but lest we forget that countless other manufacturers are on hand to showcase their new wares. Case in point is hard drive makers Seagate and Western...

Read more

2. LukeDJ

LukeDJ TS Addict Posts: 414   +112

Is "Uber" a new technical measurement for Hard Drive Sizes?

I can picture it now....

"Hey man, what Hard Drive do you have?"
    "An UBER Hard Drive!!" :D

3. j05hh

j05hh TS Rookie Posts: 99   +15

I feel the word "ultra" fits better than "uber"...."Introducing the new UBER drive!!!" hahah

4. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,026   +154

"consumers want more storage from their tablets but don?t want to pay for it. "
    hehehe. it's like me wanting to have a car but can only afford a cheap bike.

5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,396   +1,588

The word uber alone is meaningless without the primary adjective, the term is "uber-thin". However I find the use of uber just as amusing.

6. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 642   +118

Is a traditional harddrive with spinning parts even a good idea in a tablet seeing how they are picked up, set down, moved around all over the place.

7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,420   +821

"consumers want more storage from their tablets but don?t want to pay for it"

There's a helluva lot of things that I want but don't want to pay for either. What makes tablet users so special?

8. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,973   +587

One has to be mad to buy a new ultra-book with one of these... If you are so broke you cannot afford an SSD for it, just get a second-hand laptop for $200, and be happy. Seriously, I don't see any demand for this product.

9. LukeDJ

LukeDJ TS Addict Posts: 414   +112

I think it's more aimed at tablets. Like the article said, people want more storage but don't want to pay more, and the average tablet buyer probably doesn't know the difference between a HDD and an SDD.

10. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,420   +821

Oh I can see a demand for these. A lot more storage for a lot less $$$. Not everybody requires or even wants a tablet or ultrabook that goes hell for leather. I'm one of them.

VitalyT likes this.
  11. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

That's cool, but have you ever seen a Compact Flash HDD? That was some cool tech. 4GB Scrabble tiles.

12. PC nerd

PC nerd TS Booster Posts: 328   +38

Aww. It's so dinky.

13. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,080   +920

It looks awesome. Too bad it is 5400RPM. When this comes in 7200RPM variants, then we can talk. You need a SSD for caching or else this thing will be really slow.

PC nerd likes this.
  14. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,110   +45

Uber? Seriousouly guisse...

j05hh likes this.
  15. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,054   +970

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.