Seagate and Western Digital now shipping uber thin hard drives

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Intel has arguably been the talk of the town with Computex in full swing but lest we forget that countless other manufacturers are on hand to showcase their new wares. Case in point is hard drive makers Seagate and Western Digital, both of which made headlines as the tech conference got under way.

Western Digital announced that they are now shipping what they claim is the world’s thinnest 1TB drive, aptly named the 2.5-inch WD Blue 7mm. The thinner model, available in smaller capacities down to 320GB, are designed with Ultrabooks and similar slim notebooks in mind. 7mm drives are also compatible with industry standard 9.5mm hard drive slots as well, we’re told.

seagate laptop ultrathin asus dell 1tb hdd western digital

The 1TB drive is available as of writing for just $139 through select distributors and resellers which includes a two year warranty.

Seagate, meanwhile, is now shipping a 5mm ultrathin hard drive to OEM partners. The drives in question are available in 320GB and 500GB capacities and are housed in steel rather than aluminum for rigidity’s sake.

seagate laptop ultrathin asus dell 1tb hdd western digital

The company is positioning the drives for use in tablets, a market typically dominated by flash memory. According to Seagate’s senior VP, consumers want more storage from their tablets but don’t want to pay for it. Seagate believes this drive solves that problem although there’s the obvious tradeoff of speed and battery life. Of course, manufacturers could offset the performance impact by providing a small amount of flash memory for caching purposes much like hybrid hard drives do.

Asus, Dell and Lenovo have already signed up to use the new drives although a timeline for when we can expect to see them hit consumer devices isn’t known.

Permalink to story.

Is "Uber" a new technical measurement for Hard Drive Sizes?

I can picture it now....

"Hey man, what Hard Drive do you have?"
"An UBER Hard Drive!!" :D

I feel the word "ultra" fits better than "uber"...."Introducing the new UBER drive!!!" hahah

"consumers want more storage from their tablets but don?t want to pay for it. "
hehehe. it's like me wanting to have a car but can only afford a cheap bike.

The word uber alone is meaningless without the primary adjective, the term is "uber-thin". However I find the use of uber just as amusing.

Is a traditional harddrive with spinning parts even a good idea in a tablet seeing how they are picked up, set down, moved around all over the place.

"consumers want more storage from their tablets but don?t want to pay for it"

There's a helluva lot of things that I want but don't want to pay for either. What makes tablet users so special?

One has to be mad to buy a new ultra-book with one of these... If you are so broke you cannot afford an SSD for it, just get a second-hand laptop for $200, and be happy. Seriously, I don't see any demand for this product.

One has to be mad to buy a new ultra-book with one of these... If you are so broke you cannot afford an SSD for it, just get a second-hand laptop for $200, and be happy. Seriously, I don't see any demand for this product.

I think it's more aimed at tablets. Like the article said, people want more storage but don't want to pay more, and the average tablet buyer probably doesn't know the difference between a HDD and an SDD.

Oh I can see a demand for these. A lot more storage for a lot less $$$. Not everybody requires or even wants a tablet or ultrabook that goes hell for leather. I'm one of them.

It looks awesome. Too bad it is 5400RPM. When this comes in 7200RPM variants, then we can talk. You need a SSD for caching or else this thing will be really slow.

Back