Seagate Barracuda IV, Raid issues?

By chixaro
Mar 4, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pay attention to seagate Barracuda IV and RAID

For thoso who are planning to get a RAID 0 setup with Barracuda IV HD, be carefull.

Those disks are great, but have some performance issues under a RAID 0 setup (I have this problem my self).
  2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Thank you Chixaro, I will keep my eye out for them, and do a little more research, if I was going to get those as my RAID. I have been looking at getting something setup as a RAID soon.
  3. chixaro

chixaro Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I´m in touch with seagate suport. By the end of the week I should have an answer to this problem.
  4. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Be sure to post what the fix is, as there might be others that have the same problem, or might get the same problem later. This could turn into a good database for them.

:wave: :wave: Welcome to 3D Spotlight Forums as well :wave: :wave:
  5. setscrew

setscrew Newcomer, in training Posts: 27

I also have heard of this problem with the 'cuda IVs and a RAID setup. They posses an extremely low read time, but for some reason when being imaged, the controller has difficulty accessing the paired read heads.

They are great drives when used in a traditional storage configuration.
  6. SuperCheetah

SuperCheetah Newcomer, in training Posts: 868

From http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kg7kr7/raid_controller.htm

To paraphrase Seagate technical support, the Seagate is so fast that the RAID controller can't buffer the data quickly enough and so the disk has to read everything twice and hence runs much slower. So there you have it: the disk is so fast it is actually much slower. Seagate do not have a firmware fix at the present time as they claim they are waiting "for the rest of the industry to catch up". See this thread at Storage Review forums for more details. The problem has been reported on several different motherboard chipsets and several different RAID controllers. The problem is not specific to ABIT motherboards. Some people have reported success by putting the disks on separate IDE controllers. Seagate seem prepared to accept returns for users with this problem - contact customer support.

It's almost funny their response to this problem. I'm sure they could "slow" their drives down to allow for quality raiding.
  7. uncleel

uncleel Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,145

As stated, you need to substantiate your opinion w/ an news or tech article, providing the url

* Please use a Specific Question on the Subject Line.
    * This will archive your subject for later searches/retrieval
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.