1. KG363

KG363 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 523   +9

Insanity!
  2. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 616

Future.
  3. HaMsTeYr

HaMsTeYr TechSpot Maniac Posts: 387

Still not a fan of Seagate anymore. Horrible build quality as of late... Too bad now that Samsung is under Seagate all I can hunt for is WD...
  4. Mikymjr

Mikymjr TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 121   +7

Seagate should get better if they try. WD is still hands down better ;-)
  5. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 Newcomer, in training Posts: 489

I guess this paves the way for 4 and 5 TB hard disks. I hope Seagate will also work on improving the reliability of their HDDs because it does go hand-in-hand with capacity and speed.
  6. fpsgamerJR62
    It does.

The more denser a platter becomes the faster a harddrive will become.

There will be more data per concentric circle. Therefore 1 revolution read/writes you more data.
  7. PanicX

PanicX TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 829

@hamsteyr & mikymjr
    Asserting unsubstantiated opinions as facts, I'm sure you've got anecdotal evidence to back your claims as well.
  8. R3DP3NGUIN

R3DP3NGUIN TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 154

I have been lucky to not have any problems with seagate so far, but the WD green drives are the worst, nearly every week at my work we see one come in dead.
  9. yRaz

yRaz TechSpot Booster Posts: 768   +47

Funny, my brother just had a WD green drive die in his computer not to long ago. However, I have a 750gb caviar black, a 150gb raptor, and a 500gb seagate that only works %50 of the time. My raptor is coming up on 5 years old(my seagate is also that old) and has been a reliable, fast, drive for as long as I've had it. I haven't had the caviar black long enough to comment on its reliability, but I would still recommend it.

Back when IDE was still the choice method for connecting hard drives I had seagates go on my left and right. Heck, I had maxtors that lasted longer than my IDE seagates. Broke 3 overclocking the CPU bus, don't ask me how that works. I've heard the IDE bus and CPU bus were related somehow, never looked into it much. The other 4 I had started clicking after about 3 months. None of the ones that started clicking died on me because I replaced them almost as soon as it started. Every WD I've bought since then is still working aside from that one green drive.

oh the good 'ole days of computing when standards weren't always standard.
  10. R3DP3NGUIN

R3DP3NGUIN TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 154

Yea so far its only the WD greens i have experienced problems, I also own two WD VelociRaptors, which are nearly two years old and no problems. Same with black editions I havnt seen many problems with those. The seagate drives I use are only for backup purposes anyway, so there not running 24/7 in my servers.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.