TechSpot

1. TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Seagate debuts trio of new storage products at CES 2015

By Shawn Knight
Jan 5, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Seagate has descended on the Consumer Electronics Show with a trio of new storage solutions covering multiple market segments.

Read more

2. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,648   +578

This new offerings sound cool but... How is Seagate doing so far? Last I remember their disks weren't very reliable.

3. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,621   +304

They bought out Samsung's HDD division a few years back so might be better now. I loved my Samsung Spinpoint drives, and hope newer Seagates use the tech from them.

4. I have had so many problems with Seagate drives that I refuse to buy anything from them.

5. I ditched Seagate in favor of Western Digital last year not because of Seagate's questionable reliability, but because of the lack of hardware encryption support. Of course, I can always use third-party software encryption (e.g. BitLocker, VeraCrypt) in place of it, but after getting my first taste of hardware encryption utilized by Western Digital, I never want to go back to software encryption which is abysmally slow in comparison.

6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,737   +2,996

USB 3.0 has been out long enough now, there is no excuse not to make all products USB 3.0. I will not buy a device that can use USB 3.0, if it comes with USB 2.0.

I'm tired of manufacturers slowing the adoption rates by continuing to produce old outdated ****.

Edit: Ohh and Seagate is my choice for storage.