TechSpot

Seagate unwraps Momentus XT HDD, SSD hybrid

By Matthew
May 24, 2010
  1. Confirming last week's speculation, Seagate has unveiled a hybrid mechanical and solid-state drive, uniting the best of both realms: speed and affordability. The 2.5-inch Momentus XT is available in 250GB, 320GB and 500GB capacities, and has 4GB of SLC NAND flash memory onboard. The drive features what Seagate calls "Adaptive Memory," which automatically moves frequently accessed data to the flash memory, thus allowing the Momentus XT to outpace standard platter drives.

Read the whole story

2. SilverCider

SilverCider TS Rookie Posts: 72

Surely Seagate unwraps the Momentus XT not Samsung...? :p

3. Flannelwarrior

Flannelwarrior TS Rookie Posts: 149

This would be great for a netbook upgrade

4. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,932   +126 Staff Member

Awsome disk, I'll be getting one for my laptop

5. Timonius

Timonius TS Booster Posts: 584   +33

Sounds pretty good and more reasonable. I would like to see more offerings in this area with larger capacities all around.

6. BMfan

BMfan TS Guru Posts: 481   +49

Woudn't mind getting a 250gb one for my desktop as an OS drive.
    Wonder how long it will be before we see 3,5 inch ones.

7. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,087   +108

This could be really good for my laptop. But like always i don't have the money to buy new things. (just bought an used Hp Pavillion dv6500 ^_^ )

8. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,172   +176

As a laptop drive, the capacities are acceptable but they still fill a niche between SSD and HDD. Can't see how any definition of game changing would fit. Still - it's a good option for laptop owners who can't afford a SSD and want better performance that 5400RPM drives (which are abysmal for business!).

9. windmill007

windmill007 TS Rookie Posts: 311

The should make all regular drives like this till SSD can come down in price (prob 10 years at current pace)

10. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,517   +318

I am interested to see the difference between this and a regular drive when playing games such as crysis, are load times really reduced? are we able to get any benches Techspot or any links to some dividebyzero?

11. BMfan

BMfan TS Guru Posts: 481   +49

12. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,517   +318

13. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I've been looking for a SSD for a media center computer for low noise and heat, but even though I see good deals, I just never bought one. This seems like a great alternative. Sure its not a SSD,but it would provide speed for the OS and media programs, and then a good deal of storage for media, or a DVR program.

14. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,060   +76

It can be brilliant solution for desktop/notebooks as primary hard drive (i.e. for OS/Software) considering its value for money, it would be a great buy.

I may just consider replacing my not so old WD Caviar drive sooner ......hmmm ;)

15. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,583   +104

Great idea. Depends how well it does its job of moving frequently used data onto the solid state part of the disk for fast access. I'm guess many people looking at a lower price point might buy this rather than buying a small SSD and manually moving data on and off of it all the time.

16. grvalderrama

grvalderrama TS Enthusiast Posts: 197

Does it work on desktop computers? Or just notebooks?

17. hi there you are right if this technolgy is vrealy as great as claimed too be netbooks notbooks gaming laptops and diffently the next generation gaming consoles like hard core gamers realy want fast and low cost consoles be perfect for xbox 720 and ps4 oh by the way on disovery channel saying the worlds fastest eltric enginge spins at a whopping 150,000 rpm soo that can mean a 150,000 rpm hybride hard drive can be just few years away get 3 150,000 rpm hdd hybride in raid 3 450,000 rpm's

18. zrlan7710

zrlan7710 TS Rookie

Didn't know that hybrids works this way... I might get into it in the future.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.