search and find in Win-XP

By gbhall
Mar 8, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. search and find from the start menu or from explorer context menu is just APPALLING !!

Sometimes one finds another search app called 'file finder' under the context menu, but I don't think this is standard.

Somewhere long ago, I seem to remember someone advising how the Win2K search/find could be imported into XP, and how much of a relief that would be all round!

I just cannot turn up that method - can anyone help?
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,285   +281

hum; it seams to work for me, so what is it you so distain and can you describe
    what you have found that is different?
  3. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,327   +49

simply does not work at all in some cases (e.g. .msg files - seems to think these must not be searched).

Start from the start button, and you first have to say what you are searching for....twice.....
    'Look in' drop down box does not allow browsing to a desired sub-directory....
    stupid animated characters ......
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,285   +281

I admit that I never use that scenario, but rather navigate to the folder
    of interest and use the right-click context search.
  5. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,327   +49

solution found

For anyone interested, I discovered SearchWin software (shareware), which is excellent - and extrsordinarily flexible. Only snag I hit was taking a little while to discover that by default, only certain types of file are searched for content. There is, however, a simple and effective procedure for choosing your own set of file types, which solved my previous problem of not being able to search .msg files.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.