search engine says "jump"

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueshadow36

I've ran virus scan and spyware, didn't find anything. Everytime I go to google and type something in and click on search on the internet explorer it will say jump and it takes me someone other than what I clicked on. Half the time it takes me to eBay. Sometimes I can type in an address not using a search engine and it still does it. Can someone help me figure out what is going on? I would appreciate it so much!

Hello and welcome to TechSpot.

Some malware could be causing the problem.

Please go and read this and then post a fresh HijackThis log as an attachment into this thread. Then we can see whether or not it's something nasty.

Regards :)

I finally got a chance to run HiJack This and am attaching the log file. If anyone can offer any help, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Hi

Very Important: Malware infections can possibly lead to identity theft, loss of funds from bank accounts, misuse of credit card information etc. Therefore I strongly encourage you to please read this thread HERE before deciding what course of action to take regarding your infection.

Should you decide to clean your computer, please go ahead to Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions and follow the steps given. Do follow all the instructions exactly. They will provide logs for analysis of your system so I will know how to instruct you to proceed.

Thereafter, please post fresh HijackThis, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread. Do not copy and paste your logs if not it will be ignored and/or removed.

Also, please let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of blueshadow36 only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Did the HiJack log show something? I don't know what I'm looking for. You're instructions sound like I have a serious problem.

We mainly use our pc for playing around on the Internet. Although I do pay my bills and access my banking info too. I have the firewall on and do have anti-virus software. I noticed after my daughter installed LimeWire, we started having problems. Needless to say I uninstalled it but the problems continued to get worse. Would it be in my best interest to just wipe my computer clean and do a fresh install of windows? I don't have restore CD's to our computer, restore files are located on the D: drive. How do I know if those are safe to use? Could they possible have been infected too?

Hi,

It is possible that your restore files are also infected, though I can't tell like that. If you wish to do a restore to an earlier point, I would recommend you still follow the instructions and post logs from that point.

Otherwise, I suggest a clean format and to inform the relevant authorities regarding the compromise of your information.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of blueshadow36 only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

We're going on vacation so it will have to wait until we come back. I'll just disconnect it from the internet. Can you tell me what virus it is that you see on my HiJack This log? and why my antivirus and/or firewall didn't catch it? By the way, Thank you very much for your help.

There's some spyware in your HJT log. It also appears that you were infected with the Zlob and Vundo trojans. Vundo has been removed. Most of Zlob has too, but there are still remnants of it which are probably causing the redirection of search results.

If you are going away, you should disconnect from the Internet until you come back. The question of reformatting or cleaning is up to you. As momok said, if you decide to resore to an earlier point, you should post logs from that point to ensure that no infections are present.

Please let us know what you decide.

Regards :)

This thread is for the use of blueshadow36 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our Security and the Web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back