TechSpot

Second hard drive gone

By hynesy
May 20, 2006
  1. I have recently installed a new hard drive (160gig) on my computer, after going through all the procedures to get it working, it worked, then i had some problems with windows (system restore, system information, internet explorer) didnt work, i booted from xp cd and selected rapair, now when i boot my computer i cant see my hard drive in My computer, however, in device manager it says "this device is working properly", in disk managment i can see the hard drive, i can change it between basic and dynamic disk, but i cant reformat and anything like that. I can select "format new volume" but i cant format data that was on the hard drive before hand. Any suggestions, i had everything on the hard drive?

2. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

if you have gone back and forth with disc type the data is probably gone (corrupt)
    I don't remember but somewhere on MS website they tell you you can switch from one to the other but not reverse
    I think its basic to dynamic but not back again or for that matter a dynamic vol.
    cannot convert to basic and save the data
    any partitions are destroyed
    you can try a data recovery utility may get some stuff back

3. hynesy

hynesy TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 445

im not worried about the data as much as i am about the hard drive, how do i make the hard drive available again in my computer?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.