TechSpot

Second hard drive gone

By hynesy
May 20, 2006
  1. I have recently installed a new hard drive (160gig) on my computer, after going through all the procedures to get it working, it worked, then i had some problems with windows (system restore, system information, internet explorer) didnt work, i booted from xp cd and selected rapair, now when i boot my computer i cant see my hard drive in My computer, however, in device manager it says "this device is working properly", in disk managment i can see the hard drive, i can change it between basic and dynamic disk, but i cant reformat and anything like that. I can select "format new volume" but i cant format data that was on the hard drive before hand. Any suggestions, i had everything on the hard drive?

2. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

if you have gone back and forth with disc type the data is probably gone (corrupt)
    I don't remember but somewhere on MS website they tell you you can switch from one to the other but not reverse
    I think its basic to dynamic but not back again or for that matter a dynamic vol.
    cannot convert to basic and save the data
    any partitions are destroyed
    you can try a data recovery utility may get some stuff back

3. hynesy

hynesy TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 389

im not worried about the data as much as i am about the hard drive, how do i make the hard drive available again in my computer?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.