Second man pleads guilty to hacking celebrity accounts and stealing explicit photos

midian182

Staff member

A second man has pleaded guilty to using phishing scams to access the iCloud and Gmail accounts of over 300 people, including 30 celebrities, between November 23, 2013 and August 2014. The charge is part of a federal investigation into the leak of explicit photos of Hollywood actresses in September 2014.

28-year-old Chicago, Illinois resident Edward Majerczyk admitted to the felony computer hacking charge in his plea agreement entered in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.

Majerczyk used phishing schemes in which he sent emails claiming to be from internet service providers. The mails directed the receivers to a website that collected their usernames and passwords, which enabled him to access their “sensitive and private photos and videos.”

The plea deal will see Majerczyk’s sentence reduced from 5 years to between 6 to 12 months. Sentencing will take place once the case transfers to Illinois in a few weeks time.

Three months ago, Ryan Collins of Lancaster, Pennsylvania pleaded guilty to similar hacking charges related to “Celebgate.” The 36-year-old broke into 50 iCloud and 72 Gmail accounts, most of them belonging to female celebrities, by sending out emails in which he posed as an Apple or Google employee and stealing login credentials.

The celebrities who had their nude images posted included Jennifer Lawrence, Rihanna, Scarlet Johansson, Gabrielle Union, Kim Kardashian, Hillary Duff, Jenny McCarthy, Kate Upton, Hope Solo, Victoria Justice and many others.

Despite the guilty pleas, there is no evidence that either man was involved in leaking the images and videos online. And surprisingly, there’s nothing that suggests the two of them were working together.

Image credit: Tinseltown / Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

The funny thing is that they threw a lot of **** into apple for it's security when it was their dumb -awesomely beautiful- behinds who fell for a phishing attack.

The other sort of funny thing is that if it happened to a regular Joe, no one would bat an eye.

Of the listed celebrities, I am interested only in the photos of Jennifer Lawrence, Scarlet Johansson, and Kate Upton. I had watched nearly all the movies of Jennifer and Scarlet.

Dude...

Of the listed celebrities, I am interested only in the photos of Jennifer Lawrence, Scarlet Johansson, and Kate Upton. I had watched nearly all the movies of Jennifer and Scarlet.
I'd like to applaud your creepiness. Bravo.

I wouldn't waste any data on looking at these nude celebs, none of whom I've heard of anyway which is not surprising seeing I have as much interest in Tinseltown as I have in watching grass grow.

I wouldn't waste any data on looking at these nude celebs, none of whom I've heard of anyway which is not surprising seeing I have as much interest in Tinseltown as I have in watching grass grow.

Ding ding ding we found a winner, now tell us how does it feel to live under a rock? =P

He's probably under there looking at his massive collection of nude astrophysicists.

Back