Second Video card and Dual monitor trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

gezus

Okay so.. I just got another Really really nice 19inch LCD for free, and I figured that it would be a good compliment to my 22inch widescreen. So I started looking into it.

I currently run a (PCI) GeForce 5500FX series card and have my Widescreen hooked up to it.

I scoured the internet for information, and the general concensis is that. It's completely possible to run 2xPCI video cards, and that it is possible for them to be different brands.

So then I decided to go diggin in the closet and find my old video card. A Raedeon 5200 (PCI) made sure it was all clean, turned off my PC, stuffed it in it's own PCI slot, and fired up the Computer. (I realise this card is a bunch of Crap .. I don't need it to be good, just handle the second monitor)

Everything works fine, All my programs load, my Virus scanner, MSN, the Nvidia card.. Until.... the little window pops up that says "Windows has found new hardware (VGA)" or something like that .. and everything freezes.

So my question is .. Why? .. and can someone help me make this work ? ..

and before I get the typical answer .. No .. atm I cannot afford to upgrade anything in my pc. Trust me .. I want to, but that's not an option right now.

Thanx in advance.

Go!..

Have you tried running in safe mode, then installing the drivers for the second card?
I remember a while ago, using my 2400HD by visiontek, my computer will freeze when not in safe mode when that message shows up.

Interesting, it doesn't do it anymore , only did it when i was using XP. But safe mode is always the best option. Also you have 2 older cards, you may want to install the 81.98 drives for both video cards.

I'll give that a go, and let you know :p .. thanx

I can find the 81.98 driver for Nvidia, but am having a tuff time finding the ATI driver .. unless it's the 5.16 driver? ..

Okay so .. everything is Installed, and acording to "Windows Device manager" everything is updated and running fine. Hoever. I still only have the one monitor going, and ONLY in safe mode. If I try to boot regular, I get the Freeze, just like I did before. However there is no Windows has found new hardware :p

Next suggestions :p

Okay so .. everything is Installed, and acording to "Windows Device manager" everything is updated and running fine. Hoever. I still only have the one monitor going, and ONLY in safe mode. If I try to boot regular, I get the Freeze, just like I did before. However there is no Windows has found new hardware :p

Next suggestions :p

I think I might just be destined to be a 1 monitor guy .. The only other thing I could try is swapping the cards, and having the ATI as the Primary, and the Nvidia as the second.

I actually had dual monitors at 1 point with the old ATI card I have, Only problem is .. if I do that, Wont I have worse performance in games. because they will be using the Old ATI card rather than the GeForce?

What is your full system specs?

Also, i don't know anything about dual monitors, but i am aware that people use them. I heard good feedback from ati cards, yes. Haven't heard anything about geforce tho.

well beforewe get way "technical" about it .. can anyone answer me this..

"If" I tryed swapping the cards around .. so that the Radeon was the one that handled "Normal" grafix issues, would I still be able to tell the computer that I still want the "GeFroce" to handle gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back