Secondary HD problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all,
I am running a winxp pro sp2 system. i had two maxtor hard drives on it working perfectly untill i decided to format my primary hard drive. at the moment when running windows, i cant access the secondary hard drive. I can see the drive in bios and all the parameters are correct. the jumpers on the device are correct too. device manager recognises the drive as well and reports no problems with it. even disk management reports the drive (although it assigns to it no letter) as healthy and active.

when first i installed the secondary drive and formatted it, i've installed windows on it (in case my primary got corrupted to be able to access the system). when trying to boot from the secondary, it wont let me. it tries to load norton go back (i had it on my primary) and reports a norton go back internal error and prompts me to reboot.

any input as to how i can access it with out formatting it will be greatly appreciated since i have all my work on it and cant afford a format on it.

Processor authentic AMD athlonxp 2400+ 2000 MHz
memory 1.02 Gb (1 048 048 Kb) ROW-0: 512 Mb(DIMM,SDRAM) ROW-1: 256 Mb(DIMM,SDRAM) ROW-2: 256 Mb(DIMM,SDRAM)
video cardNVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 (64.0 Mb): 1152 x 864 - True Color (32 bit)
sound card Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM)
operating system Windows XP Professional U.S. English 5.1 (build 2600 Service Pack 2)

grem said:
even disk management reports the drive (although it assigns to it no letter) as healthy and active.
Why don't you manualy assign it a drive letter ?

both drives are basic NTFS. for c a get status healthy(system) and for the other one i get the name of the drive status healthy (active)

i have installed partition magic to check its statusmore detailed, and where c is read as NTFS, the secondary drive is read as GoBack. ????
disk management reports them both as NTFS

problem solved

thanx guys but i found a way around it !!!! GoBack was causing the problem! aparently, when i installed it, it backed up both drives on both their free spaces. after i formated the main drive the information stored on the other drive where messing around with windows. after trying everything i could think of, i reinstalled go back and uninstalled it including in the uninstallation all the left over files from my secondary drive. it worked.

thanx again for taking the time to help me!

nearly the same problem

My problem is, I got a virus on my other hard drive, 30 gig WD, and it wiped out my software registry. Since I have writings on there I need to recover, I bought a WD 120 gig drive as a replacement.
I installed WindowsXP on the new drive, formatting it in NTFS, as I've heard it's better. Problem is, my old drives (the second old drive is an IBM 80 gig) are formatted in FAT32. My new install will not recognize either drive via Windows Explorer. The jumper settings are good, the IDE cable sound and connected correctly, and either drive shows up in Device Manager as well as POST.

Any Advice on how to:

1: Get windows to recognize the drives;
2: Recover my valuable files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back