Secondary HDD isnt shown in my computer?

By Tyrell
Mar 14, 2006
  1. i recently built this p3 system its running windows dont laugh

everything on the system is running fine, just recently i decided to add my secondary HDD from my other computer to the p3 system becuase i want to be able to listen to all my music files.

anyways i installed the hardware (correctly) lol so dont ask to to check the cables or jumper cuz they are set in the correct position.

wierd thing is when i click on my computer, only my C drive appears... not my secondary drive..

when i go to the device manager it shows both drives. and it also says there working properly and there are no conflicts..

my guess is win98 doesnt automatically assign a driver letter ie.{F:} to the drive.

any ideas on how i could enable the driver so i can access my files?
  2. slyfox115

slyfox115 TS Rookie

Right click on My Computer, click manage, then go to disk management. You should see both volumes there and assign a drive letter.
  3. kirock

kirock TS Rookie Posts: 1,221

4. Tyrell

Tyrell TS Rookie Topic Starter

only one drive is assigned a letter wich is my C: drive

and they are both maxtor 40gb drives
  5. kirock

kirock TS Rookie Posts: 1,221

Go into your BIOS and make sure it's detecting the 2nd HDD. It should if it's set to auto. If not check your jumpers again, again. and then finally check them 1 more time. It's easy to confuse the the up/down pic they show on these things.
  6. Tyrell

k i checked the bois setting..

it is automaticaly deteced

and on the hdd it says "no jumper = slave"
  7. Tyrell

but still doesnt show in my comp
  8. Frank Smith

Frank Smith TS Rookie Posts: 75

did you check under disk mangement and see if it was FORMATTED?
    and did it have partitions set active?

you might need to FDISK then Format.
  9. tdeg

tdeg TS Rookie Posts: 119

Win98SE doesn't have that handy little tool.

Only NT based does.
  10. tdeg

tdeg TS Rookie Posts: 119

What os was the other computer running? If it was 2000, the format of the drive may have been NTFS which 98SE won't read.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.