Securing a Wireless Network, 100% clueless

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekieNick101

Hey Everybody,

I am not new to wireless networking as I have had one for a good while now, but I got sick and tired of my stupid Belkin router never wanted to connect so today I bought a D-Link one and my question is as follows:

Is there a way to secure a wireless network by simply only allowing the MAC ID's of my systems, so no one else can access the network and if I do this will I need a password then for my wired connections?

Currently I still have my belkin router connect but I will be connecting my new one, but right now I am using WPA I'm not sure if it is 2 or what, but I have it setup up where I have a password and I can type it in any system and it connects and I know it does not help protect anything since I know I entered a wrong password before on purpose and it did connect. I would like a way so basicly only my laptop can get on wirelessly to the internet.

Also I got this off PC World:
"The first line of defense for your Wi-Fi network is encryption, which encodes the data transmitted between your PC and your wireless router. Unfortunately, most routers ship with encryption turned off, and many users don't turn it on, leaving themselves completely exposed"

Are they talking about a password or something else?

Thank you very much, I know it shows I don't know too much about wireless networking security.

Thanks for replying, I already did look at that post before you told me to, but it still doesn't help me since I don't know how to setup a WPA to do mac ids, all I know how to do is make a password so all systems can get on if I end it its called a wpa-personal. And what I still don't get is if I make it so only my MAC-ID's will be allowed on, will I have to do the same to enter on my wired connections? As well as If I have it so only the Mac ID's will be entered, will I still need to make up a password or just enter the mac id's? or both? I dont understand any of this, I think its all very confusing.

Thanks

You most certainly need encryption (the password and WPA thing). MAC filtering is an optional extra and doesn't give you much over WPA.

I like MAC filtering too. It allows me to predict which systems are mine and to
force all others into a higher address range. Once that is done, everything
not in my trusted range is excluded for all inbound traffic.

It is a fact, however, that someone with the right tools and know-how can
spoof the MAC address (when that specific system os offline) and gain access.
If that does occur, then the WPA or WPA2 encryption will stop the access.
This is what we mean by a layered approach to security -- just keep putting
up hurdles and forcing the creeps to vault them all. They will get tired soon
and seek a more fertile field (ie easier).

WEP, WPA, WPA-2 is not the same as passwords at all. It makes the traffic
unreadable with a simple sniffer so as to HIDE passwords and account numbers:)

btw: your file shares should still have a password (yet another layer to jump),
and for XP/HOME, Simple File Sharing uses the password of the Guest account
(activate Guest, set a password, and then disable it).

Thanks for your help,

What I don't understand is how to set up WPA, it doesnt make any sense, I was trying to do it and for some strnage reason I just now got my internet to work its been out for over 10 hours.

Thanks everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back