Security researcher publishes 10M usernames / passwords to help understand authentication patterns

By Shawn Knight
Feb 10, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Security researcher Mark Burnett is capturing headlines after publishing a list of 10 million usernames and passwords on the Internet.

Read more
  2. Edward Snowden just made a new friend.
  3. JakeT

JakeT TS Member Posts: 74   +20

Mr. Snowden is my friend too. I only wish I had more friends like him.
    dms96960 and Skidmarksdeluxe like this.
  4. Hexic

Hexic TS Addict Posts: 271   +127

Apples to oranges comparison, he's too clean to be compared to Snowden.
  5. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Maniac Posts: 933   +238

IMHO, sloppy science, and if you ask me, the guy should be arrested.

He has no idea whether any of these combos are still active. In my opinion, good science would have him present examples of the patterns he found with made-up data rather than real examples that might still be live. It would be no comfort to me that the guy "personally reviewed" such a large data set as it would be easy to make a mistake.

I do understand that the owners of these combos should have changed them years ago as it is the owner of the combo that chose badly by creating an easily hackable user name / password combo, however, in my opinion, no true, competent, and respectable researcher would take the chance that releasing such data would compromise the integrity of someone else. As I see it, this is the equivalent of releasing the names of the participants in a medical study which simply would not happen under similarly normal circumstances in the medical industry.
  6. JakeT, please forward your details to the NSA to prove your manhood.
  7. Bubbajim

Bubbajim TS Addict Posts: 135   +50

If I ever create a website or service that requires logging in, I'm going to make it so the password creation box recognises passwords like "1111", "password", "administrator" etc and hurls abuse at the person trying to use them.
    wiyosaya likes this.