Security Toolbar 7.1 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohrng

Hey, I'm new here. Looking for help with the Secuity Toolbar 7.1 problem. I'm planning on following Julio's 15-step process (which I found in a thread about the same problem started by raysdesigns on 7-22-2007). I was wondering if there is any new information about this problem or any new steps I should follow.

Here are the three logs

These are my reports from HijackThis, ComboFix, and AVG Anti-spyware. After I ran Panda Antirootkit, it didn't tell me about any dangers or problems - it seemed to be diagnosing a clean bill of health. SmitFraudfix seemed to get rid of the Security Toolbar, and also got rid of the Win32.Trojandownloader.Zlob which Ad-Aware 2007 was detecting earlier (but was unable to quarantine or remove). After that, I've seen no signs of infection and noticed no new problems... start-up was slower than normal, but I think that was because AVG was auto-updating. Questions: are there any other things I should do? I've seen a few people mention that they changed their passwords. Should I change passwords? Which ones? Also, which settings (as far as auto-protect, auto-update, etc.) do you recommend for my various spyware software (SSandD, AVG, AD-Aware)

Attachments

• hijackthislog.txt
    7.6 KB · Views: 6
Maybe use a limited account for doing your day to day work on the computer, make sure that the guest account has a password, etc, etc......

Do you still have Norton stuff on your computer?

What firewall are you using?

I have no Norton software on my computer (as far as i know - my friend built it for me). My anti-virus software is Symantec. I go to a college which has a firewall for the network... I don't know what firewall they use, but I don't think i need my own firewall software as well, right?
I'm not sure what you mean by "use a limited account," and I don't know how that would protect me. Could you explain?

Set up a seperate password protected administrator account for any installing you have to do and use a normal user account for yourself.

Symantec is Norton. You mentioned AVG in one of your earlier posts, is that AVG antivirus of AVG anti spyware?

You need to have this entry fixed in HijackThis:

O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: arborize - {d9f6ce57-0718-4bd1-916f-5fb1f86911c2} - (no file)

Also, delete these two files from your system.

C:\Program Files\AdbeRdr60_enu_full.exe
C:\Program Files\psa201se_us.exe

Post back with fresh HijackThis and ComboFix logs from normal mode when you are done.

Regards,
momok =)

This thread is for the use of mohrng only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our Security and The Web forum.

new logs

alright, I did the recommended fixing and deleting... here are the new logs.
kritius - thanks for telling me that symantec is norton. symantec is the only anit-virus software i have on my computer. the AVG i have is anti-spyware. could you tell me how creating an administrator account will protect my system? i don't understand that, and it just seems like a hassle...

Hi,

Your logs look clean now.

1. Please download and run CCleaner via step 9 of the instructions HERE.

2. Delete all files in AVG Antispyware Quarantine folder. (located in C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\Quarantine)

3. Turn off system restore (XP/ME only). Learn how to do that HERE.
    This will remove all the remaining nasties from your old restore points.

4. After that turn system restore back on.
    This would have created a new safe and clean restore point for your system.

5. Often times, an infection can occur again not due to the incompetence of programs, but because of user habits.
    May I recommend you to read this article.
    This can help to prevent future infections.

Should you have any further problems, please post in this thread.

PS. I would recommend switching Norton for AVG or Avast Antivirus. Norton just doesn't do a better job than those free alternatives.

Regards,
momok =)

This thread is for the use of mohrng only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back