Seemingly simple mobo question

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Motherboard 1 is using the 925XE chipset, which is the "performance" chipset, whereas motherboard 2 is using the 915 chipset, which is considered an "office" chipset. 925 performs marginally better.

2) Motherboard 2 supports the newest and fastest P4s by having support for 1066mhz FSB.

3) Motherboard 1 has 2 more PCI-E slots than motherboard 2, a great benefit if you are investing in gigabit ethernet and other cards which will use PCI-E.

4) Motherboard 1 natively supports RAID 0 and RAID 1, which is very useful today

5) Motherboard 1 supports 2mb cache P4s.

Those together can easily tack on a much heftier price tag.

PhyGuy said:
I really don't see the benfits of this mobo..
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813127188

over this one...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131542

please can someone enlighten me, I was told that the 1st one would be better because it leaves the door open for proccessor OC'n (3.2Ghz P4 800Mhz fsb). I really don't see a diffrence other then $45. Thanks to anyone
The Abit Intel chipset motherboard also had RAID and Dual-Channel memory support similar to nVIDIA nFORCE2 series, which the Asus didn't have.

Think of it as having an updated nFORCE2 mobo, with 1000/800 Scalable Link Interface rather than AMD usage of EV6 (Scalable Link Interface) at 400 for the nFORCE2.

nVIDIA didn't invent Scalable Link Interface. The first popular common use consumer level Scalable Link Interface is called "Small Computer System Interface = SCSI".

Neither of those boards are using NVIDIA chipsets. You referred to the board as, "think of it as an updated NFORCE2". He didn't ask about similarities in technology concepts, he asked what the difference was between the two boards. The two boards are very paralell and putting that sort of comparison between them was just off topic and useless.

It's rude to call names. You'll find yourself out of here real quick if you troll like that.

Soul Harvester said:
Neither of those boards are using NVIDIA chipsets. You referred to the board as, "think of it as an updated NFORCE2". He didn't ask about similarities in technology concepts, he asked what the difference was between the two boards. The two boards are very paralell and putting that sort of comparison between them was just off topic and useless.
How I help another is my business not yours. The comparison to known and older long established design is better than some other invented stupidity by ignorant *****s.
Soul Harvester said:
It's rude to call names. You'll find yourself out of here real quick if you troll like that.
I suppose you yourself are much more acceptable with better word usage despite your low-life manner.

Now I'm a stupid ignorant *****. Real clever there. The guy asked for a comparison between two motherboards, and I gave it to him. If you want to hurl insults back and forth you've come to the wrong place, friend.

Soul Harvester said:
Now I'm a stupid ignorant *****. Real clever there. The guy asked for a comparison between two motherboards, and I gave it to him. If you want to hurl insults back and forth you've come to the wrong place, friend.
I gave the original poster an answer, it was not given to you, it was not a discussion with you and your stupidity.

Nein-
You have no idea what you are talking about do you? Scalable Link Interface is an Nvidia technology that has nothing to do with SCSI. It is about hooking two video cards together to increase graphics performance. Voodoo did something similar a few years back and called it Scan Line Interleave, but the tech was different. SCSI means Small Computer System Interface and has nothing to do with SLI.

I am not coming to Soul Harvesters "rescue" here as he certainly doesn't need my help. I just want to say that if you posted bad info because you are ignorant about a new technology then no problem. None of us knows everything and we all learn from these forums. If someone was good enough to correct you, you should say thanks and be happy you learned something, not act like an ignorant *** and insult them.

Merc14 said:
Nein-
You have no idea what you are talking about do you? Scalable Link Interface is an Nvidia technology that has nothing to do with SCSI. It is about hooking two video cards together to increase graphics performance. Voodoo did something similar a few years back and called it Scan Line Interleave, but the tech was different. SCSI means Small Computer System Interface and has nothing to do with SLI.
SLI(TM) is nVIDIA trademark technology, "Scalable Link Interface" had been around near forever as technology went, for example - T1, T2, T3, Fibre-Channel are Scalable Link Interfaces just as SCSI was and is.
Merc14 said:
I am not coming to Soul Harvesters "rescue" here as he certainly doesn't need my help. I just want to say that if you posted bad info because you are ignorant about a new technology then no problem. None of us knows everything and we all learn from these forums. If someone was good enough to correct you, you should say thanks and be happy you learned something, not act like an ignorant *** and insult them.
You're too ignorant about Scalable Link Interface" to correct anyone.

Merc14 said:
What does a scalable T1 interface have to do with the guys original question? LOL.
That's the problem for people with no clue to old techs, perhaps they should learn "what WAS it?" before trying for the new techs.

nein said:
That's the problem for people with no clue to old techs, perhaps they should learn "what WAS it?" before trying for the new techs.

Some people don't want to know exactly what every single technology used in modern computers does but simply want to know what product would benefit them most. By all means add to the information of what technology X, Y and Z are and how they would benefit the user. Also we encourage the correction of errors in data to provide as good a set of info as possible. But please do refrain from calling people names and slinging insults as that will earn you a quick exit from these forums no matter how good the information you supply to help others is. :(

The fact is that Nvidia adopting the SLI acronym can confuse matters since Scalable Link Interface as a terminology has been around for as long as or longer than Nvidia have been making video cards.

Example:
http://granite.medlib.iupui.edu/pda/?p=129
Its 2700G multimedia accelerator is designed to enable users to view two independent images simultaneously on a hand-held. And its Mobile Scalable Link interface technology is designed to speed data delivery from a network to the processor.

As Soul Harvester and Nein have pointed out the $36 dearer board has onboard RAID controller used for hard disk data backup and performance increases. Has a newer revision chipset providing slight performance increases and support for the 1066 FSB and more PCI-E slots than PCI and Dual Channel memory controller. It really depends exactly what your building the PC for. Personally for $36 difference I would be tempted to go for the Abit, especially when your talking about overclocking as Abit has always had a reputation for providing motherboards with nice overclockability and overclocking features.

PhyGuy,

You got a few good replies before the thread went south. If you don't have an adequate response to your question yet I would recommend opening a new thread and asking again. The boards here aren't usually this harsh and I'm sure you would get more on topic advice is you were to try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back