Sending mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice

A friend's wife has a problem, & he doesn't understand computers, so I said that I would ask Techspot for her, hope that's OK?
She says that the send command on her e-mail provider doesn't work unless she goes on-line first. To me it sounds like dial-up problems, or her mail set-up needs looking at, what do you think?
She tells me that she has sent a report to Microsoft, I nearly told her that she would have done better to have flushed it down the toilet, judging by my past experience with them!
Can you help her please?

Does her computer dial up automatically when she opens up Internet Explorer? If she is dialing up manually each time she may just not have it set up optimally. Open up IE and go to the Tools menu, then select Internet Options, then have a look at the Connections Tab what you want to see there is that her dial up is infact the default connection and you have the button selected that says "Dial Whenever a Network Connection is Not Present".

If that checks out there are a couple things that could be wrong, one of them is simple, the other is just something I havne't thought of yet :)

For the other Simple Check go to the File menu in Outlook Express, or Outlook (whichever she uses) and make sure "Work Offline" is NOT checked.

Assumptions made in this post:
She is using Windows98 or better (not sure if 95 behaves the same)
She is using Outlook or Outlook Express for her e-mail client.

I'm sorry, I have just phoned the person in question, & it seems it's a whole new ball game, she has Freeserve & uses it's email service which I know nothing about, NOW she tells me that she gets a Microsoft message come up & says send/don't send report. Obviously it's the same one that we all get from time to time when a programe isn't responding, & this is happening when she clicks "send" she also says that a large white space appears & won't go away. Personally I think she should contact Freeserve.
In addition, her send mail in her systray has "disappeared" a right mess, Ithink! Thanks for trying to help, I obviously didn't get the full picture, sorry about that.
I have sent her TS page of one of my queries, with it's five answers to show her what it's like, & have encouraged her to join, Idon't know if she will, but with a husband who is no help in that direction, I think she should.

It sounds like the mail program is just crashing.
Hmm.. I would just say try uninstalling the program and reïnstall it.
Certainly because you say the icon in the systray disapares and the program itself has been shut down.
Doesn't sound like a dial up problem to me exept if the program crashes if your not connected to the internet, but i doubt thats the case.

So first of all just reïnstall it and look what happens.

Greets Crazy

Thanks, "Crazy", my message was sent on the 10th, she has now resolved the problem. By the way, can I welcome you to Techspot, isn't it a great site!!,I only joined recently, in August, & they've helped me a lot in that short time.
Have a look at my profile, by all means, apparently I'm their oldest member, I believe the term is "Silver Surfer"!!
Did you know that you can have an "Avatar", see mine, by my name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back