TechSpot

Sending not Receiving packets

By Coreduo
Mar 4, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello, new to the board ;)

This just recently started happening btw. I have a cable modem hooked up to a linksys router supplied by vonage. An Apple Airport wireless router is also hooked up to said router. I also have a rj-45 line hooked up to main pc. Until recently, I didn't have any problems connecting to the internet. I disabled my on board sound card via the BIOS because I was installing a new sound card. After that, I could no longer connect to the internet. The system tray shows that I am connected, but upon further inspection I am only sending, not receiving packets. Thinking it was a software error, I reinstalled Windows. Same problem. I know my router is ok because I have a mac that I use on it all the time via the rj-45 connection. I typed ipconfig /all in the command prompt and received what seemed to be a valid output. I had a valid IP address for my router, subnet mask, default gateway, etc. Thinking my NIC was fried, I tried connecting via a wireless connection. No dice, same thing. Here are my system specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2400+
    768 MB RAM
    Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT
    Soundblaster Live 5.1
    Windows 2000 Pro

My NIC is an Nvidia nForce ethernet controller. I also tried reenabling my onboard sound card thinking that was problem, but I still could not receive packets. I can ping my ip, but everytime I ping the router all of the packets are lost. I even tried connecting directly to the modem. Still nothing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am at work at the moment so I can't do anything physically with the system. Thanks!

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.