September 11 tribute

Phantasm66

Well, its 1 year on since that day when someone in my office who was addicted to IRC shouted out in one terrible instant that the attrocities had happened....

We did not know what to think....

I just want to give my respects here to all that died that day. Especially I think of some moving moments like watching that TV footage of people running in terror from the 2 twin towers whilst firemen in their dozens ran in trying to save lives....

I don't know the names of anyone who died that day but I am giving this small moment to think on them.....

How terrible life can be sometimes.....

Rest in peace.

Love to all.

please sign below with your thoughts and a small message if that is what you feel like you should do.....

Just a little message for the innocent people which are the only ones paying the price for wars brought on by other people.

In school (England) there had been no hint or indictaion of anything happening! I got home, and went on the internet, to do my usual email check. The home page (msn.co.uk) came up, and i remember wondering why the hell it was taking so long to load. So for the first time since getting Broadband, i stopped the page loading and went to hotmail, again it was so slow!
I though something is not right here! So i went back to msn, to see the title "Terror Hits America" and a picture of the World Trade Center alight. (No news of them falling down) I went upstairs and turned on BBC, and found out about 30secs later that they had actually fallen down. I couldnt beleive this, i was for the first time in my life, really shocked about a peice of news on the TV. Usual it doesnt really hit home, but my parents had been standing on top of that building one month before...thats when it really hits home.
The first thing i did was to phone my mum, i spent about 30mins on the phone talking about it to her, (although she obviously already knew)!
I am actually currently watching a program on BBC1 about 9/11, and the footage taken, is so obserd, it really scares you...thinking that you were safe!

So obviously all our hearts go out to families of the victims! :(

Cucumber

GBA

God Bless All! 9/11 hit hard last year but watching the memorial coverage today and listening to a Howard Stern rebroadcast this morning of 9/11/01 has really mellowed me out. Im glad I didnt work today because I would have been useless.

Could you imagine how it would feel to be working a regular run of the mill day, like you have every day for years, when suddenly a plane busts through the windows of your office? You and many of your coworkers dying within the blink of an eye? I know I can't, how abjectly terrible :dead:

Now about the firefighters...I think every single firefighter that participated in the rescue should be given Medals of Honor. Could you imagine running into a burning office building? Saving people's lives, then losing your own? Very brave, very brave indeed.

It's September 11th, 2002. I'm sitting in my room, and I hear sirens outside my window. Sickly typical.

I will never forget waking up that day...radio alarm, instead of hearing songs, "for all those who are tuing up, the World Trade Center has been hit. The Penagon, has also been hit. I could see a F-15 flying over the city." This is when I ran downstairs and turned on the news. There I could see the World Trade Center adn the Pentagon buring. 1 min later the North Tower collasped. Not something you would see b4 you start school....

[sngx's reflection]I was sleeping on my couch about an hour or so from waking up for class. One of my good friends (a fraternity brother) bursts into my room and exclaims "Dave - wake up, World War 3 has just started" I was dazed and was like "what are you talking about?". He says no I'm F****** serious turn on CNN. I turn it on and see the 1st tower burning, and hear all the broadcasters in shock. A few minutes later a plane flys into the second tower. At this point I'm kinda scared - whats going on? - why? - I did go to class and the teachers were talking about it but no teacher said 'go home and watch the news'.[/end sngx's reflection]
It was a terrible thing that happened a year ago, many innocent people lost their lives. And even though the Industrilized nations would like to say that "it can happen to any country" I fear it cannot, I think the US will always be the target of this magnitude of terrorism.

I also have opinions about the NYPD and the NYFD, but I feel those opinions should not be expressed in this thread of rememberance. If you want to hear what I have to say about them then visit the IRC channel.

One thing that is constant in everyone's stories about what happened 1 year ago today is 'I had no idea' or something of the sort. Often, the scariest or earth-shattering times are when something unexpected happens. I woke up 1 year ago today and turned on my computer before heading to the shower. Right when I signed on someone imed me and said 'there has been a plane crash, go look on tv.' I didn't think much of it, because its a plane that crashes...After a couple minutes I went to retrieve a towel and noticed that all the TVs in my house were on the same channel. I didn't really realize what had happened until I went to the tv and saw a plane crashing through the first tower. I couldn't believe it...What is one to think with something like this catostrophy?! Today I have tried to watch just a bit of what is happening so I don't become too involved. It really is sad that this had to happen and all of these people had to go through this tragedy. One thing that boils my blood is shortly after 9/11/01 our county's president said that they were very close to capturing Bin Laden. Here it is, a year later and from what i've heard there has been no capture. Criminals must be brought to justice.

being in the same, city, state, and school as phat, we experienced much of the same things/feelings. I had a dentist appointment that morning, so i was up early driving with my father. We had the radio on and had heard something about a plane crash, but it was very confusing to follow. I didnt think much of it, until i was sitting in the chair listening to the secretaries tell the story. I got to school that morning and realized what magnitude this actually was. The rest of the day was spent watching the tv screens and talking about it in our classes. Being in a school that day made it alot easier for me, and alot more understanding of what had gone on, just being around people with different opinions and thoughts on what had happened was comforting yet scary.

I will never forget going to sleep that night, wondering if the next morning i would wake up with more tragic news, or even awake to a world.... I'm very sad this has happened, but i am pleased at how our country has stuck together.

My heart goes out to those who lost loved ones, and let us all remember and take the time to say how we feel to everyone we love...

I had just gotten back from a very long trip to the airport to see my beloved girlfriend off. She had a connection flight to Pittsburgh, PA... where she would then fly to her home Los Angeles....

However, just a few minutes before her flight from PIT to LAX took off, the WTC was hit and her plane was grounded.

She was stranded in Pittsburgh for 4 days with very little money, but a very generous passenger gave her enough money to stay at a hotel with. I was very thankful.

I was very worried about her because I did't hear from her until a few hours after it all happened. So when the news reported an aplane from her airline traveling from PIT to LAX crashed, I was indeed frightened.

But everything pertaining to her ordeal worked out... Other folks were not so fortunate. A very sad day indeed.

I just saw the most amazing thing I have ever seen in my entire life. I keep asking myself, what if it had happened yesterday?

As I was coming across from the mainland to the island I live on, I saw a gigantic column of black smoke directly in front of the ferry, but about 600 yards out to sea. A chill immediately ran up my spine, and as we pulled off we saw flames in the distance, on the water.

As we drove away from the ferry, we pulled off to a section of waterfront property (right on a 100 ft bluff) with an excellent view of the ferry dock, and most of Puget Sound. What we saw burning was two construction barges lashed together, one with piles of creosote soaked logs stacked on it. That was burning. The smoke could probably be seen for miles. Anyone who lives in northwest Washington - I'm sure you could see it. The two barges were being carried by the current straight toward the dock, but still they were aways out. So I watched as they continued unhindered toward the dock. Pretty soon it had closed the distance, but instead of hitting the dock it actually hit the beach, not 30-40 ft. from the dock. It stayed there for about 5 minutes, before it started moving again. The current had caught the tip and it was swinging slowly toward the dock. By then a tugboat had arrived, plus a little Zodiac with little flashy lights and a big spotlight. The tugboat tried as hard as it could to drag the barge away from the dock. It succeeded, but the flames were so close to the dock it's hard to imagine it didn't take a licking. It eventually was hauled out further to sea, but that's when I left, cause we'd been standing in the cold watching the thing for about 40 minutes.

What's interesting is that the Coast Guard unit over in Everett, which is right across Puget Sound from our island, got disbanded a little while ago. And, there was a huge naval base over there too! We spend $300 billion dollars on the military, and at least $2 billion of it is right across the Sound...I'm absolutely positive that the Navy has some sort of firefighting vessel over there. I mean maybe I left early, and they could be there right this second dousing the barge, maybe they just didn't know about it... But they should have known about it, since a ferryload of fire equipment came over from the mainland. Oh well, the barge has probably burned itself all out by now, and has sunk.

The only reason I posted this is because it happened on Sept. 12th. Very strange...

Back