September Steam survey: Windows 10 growth stutters, GTX 1060 and 1070 on the rise

midian182

Staff member

The results of the Steam hardware and software survey for the month of September have arrived. It shows that while Windows 10 is still the preferred choice for almost half of all users, the popularity of Microsoft’s newest OS has decreased slightly since August. Moreover, use of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. has increased.

Windows 10 became the number one operating system for Steam users when it knocked Windows 7 off the top spot back in April. Its market share has been growing since then, and in August it increased by 2.7 percent. But it seems to have hit a peak, with Windows 10 64-bit usage falling by 0.16 percent and Windows 10 dropping by 0.10 percent.

Interestingly, it appears a small number of people have reverted back to Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 – the only versions of Microsoft's OS to see an increase during September. It’s possible that the expiration of the free upgrade offer last month is responsible for the slowdown in Windows 10 growth.

Away from Windows, Nvidia continues to dominate the survey's video card section, making up the entirety of the top ten most popular GPUs. AMD’s Radeon 7900 series is the highest entry for the red team, sitting in the number 11 position.

The GeForce GTX 970 continues to hold on to the top position that it has occupied since December, despite overall user numbers dropping by 0.19 percent. It is now the preferred card of 7.13 percent of Steam users - its lowest point since May.

The 970’s decrease could be attributed to the rise in popularity of Nvidia’s new GeForce 10 series cards. The GTX 1060 was September's fastest growing DirectX 12 GPU, jumping 0.56 percent from the previous month. The number of GTX 1070 users increased 0.44 percent, making it the most popular 10 series card. And the number of people using the powerful GTX 1080 went up by 0.20 percent.

It was revealed in August’s survey that VR headset sales among Steam users had slowed down. September is no different, with the HTC Vive up just 0.01 percent and the Oculus Rift down by the same margin.

It’s speculated that the revelations regarding Oculus co-founder Plamer Luckey’s connection to a pro-trump organization that spreads anti-Hillary memes may affect sales of the Rift. The story broke late last the month, so it likely had little influence on September’s survey. But we’ll find out from October’s results whether Luckey’s actions have damaged sales of the headset.

Permalink to story.

What is interesting is how almost 50%ish of the OS's are running W10, even if it became stale last month, while followed by 7 with a 35%ish.

I imagine the 1070, and to a lesser extent the 1080, will continue to rise strongly during the next few months as shipments catch up. Ordered mine in June and didn't get it until late July, IIRC. The EVGA queue at the time of delivery was still thousands of customers long (per the forums/reddit).

It’s speculated that the revelations regarding Oculus co-founder Plamer Luckey’s connection to a pro-trump organization that spreads anti-Hillary memes may affect sales of the Rift. The story broke late last the month, so it likely had little influence on September’s survey. But we’ll find out from October’s results whether Luckey’s actions have damaged sales of the headset.

Wouldn't be surprised. Leftists (which make up a significant portion of tech and gaming) tend to overwhelmingly enjoy targeting dissent at the financial level. They want anyone who's not them on the street.

They are going to be in for quite the surprise next week.

I'm pleased to see the 1070's picking up... err, Steam. I may treat myself to one when I can pick one up for about $200 new like I did my 970, which is still ample for me.

What is interesting is how almost 50%ish of the OS's are running W10, even if it became stale last month, while followed by 7 with a 35%ish.

It would be truly interesting to know how many people running Windows 10 do so (for the most part) because of the lack of DX12 for Windows 7.

It would be truly interesting to know how many people running Windows 10 do so (for the most part) because of the lack of DX12 for Windows 7.
This is a really bad question, there are only 13 released games with DX12 capabilities, I seriously doubt it is at this point it's an advantage choice to select one system over the other, beyond the novelty of it and the diehard fans or microsoft hate-wagoners.

I'm pleased to see the 1070's picking up... err, Steam. I may treat myself to one when I can pick one up for about $200 new like I did my 970, which is still ample for me.
On the other side, I'm sad to see all that low-mid end hardware out there, I thought it was called PC Masterrace for a reason! =P
The X80 or now XX80 doesn't even make it up there.

Wow, steam users must really not like AMD cards!
No kidding! And considering they group up series instead of cards like on the Nvidia side those could've been even smaller numbers.

Hang in there Intel HD4600 lol.

Oh yeah? $200 you say? Where about did you snag that deal, I'd be willing to get a 2nd one for that price.

This is a really bad question, there are only 13 released games with DX12 capabilities
Not a bad question at all - this is exactly why I upgraded to Win 10. I found an Nvidia site that listed my GTX780 as supporting DirectX12 and the free upgrade to Win 10 was about to run out, so I accepted the upgrade. And now the Nvidia site has changed and the GTX780 is no longer listed. Nuts.
If I planned to game in DirectX12 in the future, as I surely will, probably with the 1070, then it makes sense to save $100 and get the free Windows upgrade.

I know a couple gamers that went back to Windows 7 because they just didn't like 10. I am one of them.... I doubt it has anything to do with the free offer that in theory expired. A year is more than enough time for a gamer to take advantage of something like that.

Oh yeah? $200 you say? Where about did you snag that deal, I'd be willing to get a 2nd one for that price.
They were going for ridiculously low prices when pascal first came out, as early adopters dumped stock.

Granted, you can find 980s on ebay right now for $280, so a 970 at $200 might not be far off.

Here in sunny South Africa. http://www.wootware.co.za/ Check it out. I doubt if they still have stock of the EVGA GTX 970 SC which I bought, but at that price it was limited time offer only and probably to clear out stock. I bought mine about 9 months ago. You'll have to convert our ZAR currency into your local currency to get a price estimation and find out if they'll ship to your neck of the woods, I'm sure they will although I could be wrong about that.
Edit: After a quick scan of their prices I see they have gone up to ~ $400.

Last edited:
They were going for ridiculously low prices when pascal first came out, as early adopters dumped stock.

Granted, you can find 980s on ebay right now for $280, so a 970 at $200 might not be far off.
True, but mine was brand new. The GTX 1070 was on the horizon then.

The last thing I would want is to run win10. After suffering with win8, I put win7 on one computer and Ubuntu on a second one and am happy with out sharing any info with Micro$h!t or getting their adverts.

Next computer I buy will be with out an OS and I will just enjoy Linux and maybe save some money too....

The last thing I would want is to run win10. After suffering with win8, I put win7 on one computer and Ubuntu on a second one and am happy with out sharing any info with Micro$h!t or getting their adverts.

Next computer I buy will be with out an OS and I will just enjoy Linux and maybe save some money too....
compared to win 7, win 10 is much better in terms of performance and stability. and you are talking about adverts.. you clearly have a weird image of the OS based on stupid comments from a few people who wear tin foil hats and hate the OS. there are 1 or 2 apps suggested when you do some start menu searches which are easy to ignore (you won't even notice them) and the lock screen ads can be removed in the settings.

This is a really bad question, there are only 13 released games with DX12 capabilities
Not a bad question at all - this is exactly why I upgraded to Win 10. I found an Nvidia site that listed my GTX780 as supporting DirectX12 and the free upgrade to Win 10 was about to run out, so I accepted the upgrade. And now the Nvidia site has changed and the GTX780 is no longer listed. Nuts.
If I planned to game in DirectX12 in the future, as I surely will, probably with the 1070, then it makes sense to save $100 and get the free Windows upgrade.
The GTX 780 still has DX12 on Nvidia's website.
But... it's just a Tier 1 DX12 GPU that has 11_0 and partial 11_1 feature level support. You won't get much benefit from it and it might actually be better to just use DX11 in games that have support for both versions.

I know a couple gamers that went back to Windows 7 because they just didn't like 10. I am one of them.... I doubt it has anything to do with the free offer that in theory expired. A year is more than enough time for a gamer to take advantage of something like that.
I agree with you, and I went back to 7 nearly immediately after win 10's somewhat forceful installation. I don't like a thing about it, and neither does a very large percentage of my "repair" customers. Sadly too many of them waited for over 30 days to do a roll back, and had to perform fresh installs. Also, there were reg issues with rollbacks that could be performed, a few of which led to fresh installs too. It was interesting that when I used Linux Mint Cinnamon live off a flash drive to save/backup files, just how many people went for it instead of even, in their words (kind of), wouldn't waste their time with MS anymore and wanted Mint instead. I cannot say I blame them. It is a very superior os, though really not for MS gamers, but, eventually the WINE ('not a windows emulator') app will catch up, and that too will change the game.

compared to win 7, win 10 is much better in terms of performance and stability. and you are talking about adverts.. you clearly have a weird image of the OS based on stupid comments from a few people who wear tin foil hats and hate the OS. there are 1 or 2 apps suggested when you do some start menu searches which are easy to ignore (you won't even notice them) and the lock screen ads can be removed in the settings.

You can even remove them thankfully. Though having to uninstall Candy Crush Saga still annoys me. Microsoft, if you're gonna put games on my PC, can we stick to Solitaire? The original one without ads or limits please, its just ****ing Solitaire after all guys.

DX12 and Windows store exclusive games are pretty nice incentives, but the main reason I am staying is because Win10 is the better OS for my HTPC.

Back