TechSpot

Serial ATA compatibility with Parrallel ATA HDD'S...

By BBString
Nov 5, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Got a standard parallel IDE HDD (40 GB) at the mo. Wanna get second HDD as a slave. I'd ideally ike to get a Serial ATA HDD for obvious reasons (8MB buffer!) and I seen that add in cards are available for people with motherboards supporting only parallel ATA/IDE.

However not sure how i could share these on the one line....

i have two CDROM drives so i cant put my ol' HDD on that and have my new Serial ATA on the other IDE connecter.....so im not sure....

Anyone know anyfink bout using both together?

Advice would be great.

BB
  2. BBString

BBString TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 54

Further thoughts....

If I plug a new Serial ATA hard disc into a spare port on the existing line (using an adapter) surely that would defeat the object of serial ATA , as it would inevitably be going through a parralel (IDE/ATA) line and interface before the motherboard!

God im not sure....
  3. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Except for the 10,000RPM drives, current IDE drives are every bit as fast as SATA.

There are plenty of IDE drives available that have an 8MB buffer, and they are much cheaper than their SATA counterparts.
  4. Greeno

Greeno TS Rookie Posts: 394

unless you're mobo has S-ATA or you've got a PCI plug in card, beit a RAID card or just a standard S-ATA 150 card, I wouldn't bother using a converter... you'll only get your mobo's PEAK transfer rate anyway through the IDE bus, and yes...you're bottlenecking the drive and thus, defeating the purpose of S-ATA altogether.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.