Serial ATA Performanc

Status
Not open for further replies.

buffdaddy110

I currently have a seagate ata100 120gb hardrive hooked up to an abit nf7-s version 2.o with an athlon xp 3200+. I was wondering if SATA had a great enough performance increase to justify swapping to a SATA hard drive from my current hard drive.

maxtor diamondmax 9 sata drives have a very noticable improvement, but you have to ask yourself if you truly need the extra performance and want to spend the money.

sure thats not a ata 133 whats the seagate model #
sata is 150 mhz the seagates probably 133mhz will you see the diff
check the specs on seek times and how big your hdd cache is
only a very demanding prgram would notice a diff.
I would add more memory before I bought the drive unless you will be doing raid maybe then its worth the move.
and I would not buy a maxtor at all

I'm a fan of seagate not maxtor, and only maxtor utilizes ata133 seagate never went that route. I've already a 1GB of ram so I'm good there. My system is already fast as hell, I just had the upgrade bug and was looking at options to my current set up. I'm a hardcore gamer and already have a geforce 6800gt, so don't need to upgrade there either. I guess I just get bored after awhile and thinkI need more.

well ya got me I learned something new
I have been more interested in the scsi end of drives for awhile and never looked at seagate specs how about that.
and from what I see 100mb/s for Uata and 150mb/s for the sata
seeing an improvement not to sure
oh ya look at sustained rates they are the same
Avg. Sustained Transfer Rate 58mb/s
for some reason I keep typing mhz instead of mb/s sorry bout' that
don't want to confuse anyone :bounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back