Serious Computer Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Halar

Hey there, I'm only new to this site, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask you guys something about my computer, (not the one that I'm using right now though).

Ok I've had a ton of PC errors ever since I bought it from the shop down the road. They made it for me from various bits and pieces. Specs are: Vista 32-bit, 1.83 Dual Core, 2GB RAM, NVidia Video Card I'm pretty sure is 256MB, but could be a low range 512MB. I would list everything but after reading this you’ll see why I can’t.
I got it about 18-24 months ago. After a month or so it crashed to a blue screen, at the time I didn't think too much of it, I thought that it could just be that I overheated it or something. It kept occurring every now and then, until it just got too annoying. It did happen a lot when I was playing games. So I went back to the place I bought it from and they took it overnight. When I picked it up they said they updated everything they could (which is what I did before I took it to them). Then a few months ago I called a geek company and they sent a guy to come and fix it. We discovered that the warranty has worn out by then and so he opened it up and we found a whole lot of dust inside, so he took the fan off the motherboard heat sink thing and removed a heck of a lot of dust from it and the whole thing. After that he couldn't see anything that looked out of place. Then he updated a whole lot of things again, which didn't work. He came and went about 4 times. The blue screen didn't happen as much but still happened at lot. One thing he did give me was a 'monitoring' program which would tell me the temperature of the CPU, which never was that high even straight after playing a game for a while. He suggested that reinstalling windows might do the trick, so I thought why not, and I did. But that didn't fix the problem at all. So I was fed up with him coming round and not fixing it, so I called the company and they sent out someone else, who seemed like he knew a bit more and was nicer (to keep a customer I assume). He did some more things and took it away for the weekend and said he ran every test under the sun, and did some tweaking. When he dropped it back off to me he said that if it keeps on happening then it is definitely a hardware issue (I thought that it took them a while to figure that out). That was the last I saw of him because nothing was really happening. I made do with the problem for a while, until one day the PC would just 'hang' when it was starting up, well before windows started to load. I discovered that if I restarted it, eventually it would load windows. Then a while after that when it was starting up, it would come up with an error message saying that Windows failed to load and that the boot file was missing or corrupt, again if I restarted it a few times then it would load properly. Then yesterday when I turned it on for a few seconds it made pretty usual sounds then it started beeping at me, One long and two short beeps, I looked that up on my other computer (the one I'm using now) and found out that "1 long, 2 short Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information" I searched the net the better part of yesterday with most things saying that the video card has just decided to stop ad that a new one is required and others saying that it's the RAM and that I should test it by isolating the particular RAM stick that is causing the problem, and others saying that it's the CPU, but most said that it’s the video card that needs replacing. I don't particularly mind getting a new video card, but if that isn't the problem, then I dint want to have to buy it, if it's not going to fix it. In regards to the blue screening, I did find minor traces of Kaspersky Antivirus, but I has ALWAYS used Norton, I thought that it would be from the people got the PC from, where Kaspersky was first introduced to my PC, so in regards to that, I searched for a Kaspersky Removal Tool, and discovered that it doesn't exist.

The various messages that appeared at the top of the blue screen are: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, dxgkrnl has encountered an unexpected fatal error, MEMORY_MISMANAGEMENT, the driver is mismanaging system PTEs. And a few others that I can’t think of right now.
And down the bottom of the screen, separated by a generic thing saying that a recent hardware or software change might be the problem and to contact the system administrator, it would display a file name, like win32.sys, NETIO.SYS, dxgkrnl.sys
Just above that, was something saying: STOP: followed by 0x00000008E or similar, like STOP: 0x00000113. After that, in brackets would be something like this: (0x00000004,0x861D2460,0x000000000,0x0000000000)
So the whole ‘Stop’ thing would say
STOP: 0x00000113 (0x00000004,0x861D2460,0x000000000,0x0000000000), or similar with different numbers.
I know this is a big question, but any info would be great. I am planning to get a new PC in a few months anyway; perhaps this could just mean that I bring that plan forward a bit.
Thankyou in advance for any help you can provide.
Regards,
Halar

Perhaps a update or a reinstall of the video driver might be worth a shot. The error message does state the driver is mishandling memory.

Carefully clean out your the inside of your PC, (With canned air, without touching anything), so that overheating can be (mostly) be ruled out as an issue.

Actually, I did an update of the video card a few hours before the whole thing went poop, anyway even if I wanted to, I counldn't because I can't get it to turn on, If I removed the video card entirely, do you think it would then use basic VGA adapter to startup? I would try another video card but I don't have a spare one. =( Any idea where I could get a pressure pack with just air in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back