Serious directX issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,
Introducing myself...
I'm Luc from Amsterdam, Holland. I'm a student for "graphic design" and "interaction design". 20yrs old and not a noob to computers but i'm not a real expert either :)
I think that's it.

Ok now the problem...

I'm running a WindowsXP sp2 System
AMD athlon 2000Mhz proccesor
1,5GB ram
256mb GeForce 6600LE (nVidia)
and so on...

Ok at first everything seems perfect, I can play (new) games, do Photoshop and illustrator I can edit in AfterEffects and Flash blablabla...
BUT I CAN'T PLAY ANY VIDEO FORMAT!!! (exept flash video)
Everytime I try to play a video (all codecs are at the system) my system jamms like a rock.. it looks like I have a framerate of 1fps or something. Only when I open the task manager my CPU drops back to 0 (instead of 100%)
and I can close the app.

Ok, it's not the memory (tested that)
it's not the mediaplayer (tried all at the market)
it's not the codec's (tried all formats)
graphicscard seems fine according to the DXDIAG wich says that everything is alright. The Nvidia helpdesk couldn't figure it out either.
I've been on a lot of help site's and I'd tried every trick in the book but nothing seems to help. :mad:

It all worked once until I decided to buy an extra harddrive and re-install Windows.

The only sign I had of what it could be was when I tried to play an divX avi in divX player, it said that I have to re-install my directX, wich I've done tons of times just like re-installing my graphicscard.

Could anybody tell me what to do??

thnx

What version of Direct X are you running? I believe its 9.0c

Have downloaded the full version?

Try running WINMSD on the command line and look in the conflict/sharing area & look for any issues

Hey thank's for the reply, but...
I couldn't find any conflict, the only thing that draw my attention is that my graphicscard driver is named: nv4_mini.sys
what's that "mini" all about?

edit: btw I do have DirectX 9.0c

Have you updated your driver for your video card?

Did you run your AV and spyware programs? I have never seen that issue before.

Yes i did updated all the drivers... and yes I know it sounds really weird but it can't be any virus stuff, because I have these symptoms ever since I installed my PC again.
But I also had this thing called Splendid video enhancement which popped-up every time i'd play a video file, it came with my graphics card. Now, after the re-installation my system freezes every time this Splendid should pop up. But I can't find anything about it.

omgawwrd

hey,

i have the SAME exact issue. i reloaded windows once, video played before i installed sp2. one i installed sp2/dx9, videos stopped working so i rolled back before i installed it. did a fresh install of windows and the same thing happens. i am SO pissed, why isnt there a fix or hasn't anybody found out how to fix it yet. this seriously pisses me off because im a big movie watcher. i have no idea what to do. i heard you can't really uninstall dx9 or roll back, so wth do i do. does it have to do something with the codecs im using? i installed k-lite, which used to always work for me before. i dont see why im having issues now. plz help !!!

At last,

Sombody whow know's what I'm talkin about! And I'm a big movie wather myself aswell. (tried to watch a movie in AfterEffects the other night, but that didn't worked out well :p ) Maybe we can compare our setup to see some odd simularities (or however u spell that).

When you run dxdiag and go to the Display tab(s) does it say directdraw and direct3d are all available?

yes, it does say directdraw and direct3d are available. i can run call of duty2 and all other games flawlessly like before, the only thing not working is video.

siforee,

I'm running a WindowsXP sp2 System
Intel P4 2.66GHz
1.5GB ram
256mb GeForce 6800 GS/XT (nVidia)

hrmm... we have kind of a similar video card i guess. but video always worked before with this, so it can't be that. later when i find time i'll reload windows AGAIN and load the service pack 2 that's on the support cd my comp came with. im convinced the problem is either this sp2 from the microsoft website or dx9c.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back