Serious DirectX(?) problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagh

Yesterday, I opened my computer case to clean it up and was very careful not to damage anything. It hadn't been cleaned since I bought it (2 years ago), so it took a pretty long time removing all the dust with Q-tips. Immediatly after, the computer wouldn't start at all. I could turn it on for about 2 seconds before it crashed (before POST). At that point, I was sure I had killed my power supply.

I eventually managed (20 minutes later) to turn it on and boot to Windows. Everything seemed OK, except it was pretty slow. I checked the CPU/MB temperature to see if my cleaning helped. It went from ~60 celcius before the cleaning to ~45 celcius.

I thought everything was back to normal until I tried running a game. As soon as the screen went black (before going in fullscreen mode), the computer completely shutted down. Just like before, I was unable to turn it back on. I had to turn off/on the power supply before I could power the computer.

Since then, everytime I try starting an application involving 3D graphics, the computer shuts down and I have to reset the PSU. I'm quite sure it might have something to do with DirectX. I had updated my DirectX installation from 9.0b to 9.0c the day before, and I did not test it before opening my case for cleaning

I tried a Windows system restore (before the DirectX install) with no success.

Any idea on what could be the problem?

Thanks.

Relevant specs:

No name power supply (I know...)
Asus P4P800SE Motherboard
Pentium 4 HT, 3.2 Ghz
2048 MB of Kingston RAM
3 HDDs
ATI Radeon X800 XL
DirectX 9.0c

(I will post additional specs later, I'm quite in a hurry)

go to Start>Control Panel>Administrative tools> Event Viewer and check under the "System Area" for errors related to System Error or anything else important looking. Post the DESCRIPTION, EVENT ID, and SOURCE here.

Is the graphics card still seated correctly?

Since then, everytime I try starting an application involving 3D graphics, the computer shuts down and I have to reset the PSU. I'm quite sure it might have something to do with DirectX. I had updated my DirectX installation from 9.0b to 9.0c the day before, and I did not test it before opening my case for cleaning

Thanks.

Relevant specs:

No name power supply (I know...)
Asus P4P800SE Motherboard
Pentium 4 HT, 3.2 Ghz
2048 MB of Kingston RAM
3 HDDs
ATI Radeon X800 XL
DirectX 9.0c

(I will post additional specs later, I'm quite in a hurry)[/QUOTE]

Well is it? You might have bumped it loose during spring cleaning. How about the power cable to the card? (If it has one)Could it be loose?

Fan Damage

You may have damaged the fans.You cannot let them move while cleaning
And was the power supply turned off.
I use canned air and stop the fans from moveing.
Turn on the computer and hold a small peice of cleanex near pws exhaust fan and see if it moves.Add another to the case back if it has a location just below the pws.
What mbd is it ? asus has Probe to test fans and the bios will give you a
speed reading.

I checked all the fans and they all seem to run ok.

Here are ASUS Probe values (while in Windows) :

-CPU Temp. - 47 Celcius
-MB Temp. - 39 Celcius
-CPU Fan - 3461
-Power Fan - 0

ASUS Probe does not seem to detect my PSU fan, but I can tell it's running or I wouldn't be writing this message.

I don't know if it's a DirectX problem or not. All I know is that it appeared after a DirectX update (9.0c).

Thanks.

Update:

I tried running DirectX diagnosis tests in dxdiag, and both DirectDraw and Direct3d tests went fine. I also ran sound & music tests to make sure the problem wasn't coming from there. I think it must be an hardware problem rather than a DirectX problem.

Fans and Temps

Your cpu seems a little hot.Mine is 23 C.CPU fan is OK.
A new fan and heatsink is a good investment.
I just installed a Coolrt Master.As you see mine is lower.
My MBD is 35.
No PWS fan is normal according to a tech friend of mine.
But just put a kleenex near it.It will tell you if its blowing out.(not in)
Did you get the Direct X patch for 9c.It might help.
It explains its reasons at Microsoft.com
This also might be a video card problem.
Go to ATI.You will find answers to these ?'s and certain game problems
for your card.This might be a video card problem or a Catalyst setting.
There very important.
Update all.

I doubt the problem comes from my CPU high temperature. If it did, I would be able to run a 3D application for more than half a second. Instead, the computer just crashes as soon as I launch one.

As for the PSU fan, I did the kleenex thing and I can tell it's effectively blowing out and not in.

I will search for that DirectX patch you're talking about, but I doubt it will do any good. As I said, dxdiag tests run fine. Thanks for the advice though.

Go into C:\WINDOWS\Minidump and upload 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps.

Do you have another graphics card to test in it instead?

The latest dump file was created on January 12, 2007. It highly doubt it's related to the current issue.

I don't have any spare video card to test my computer with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back