Serious game crashing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heres the problem

Ok I am so frustrated and REALLY DESPERATE. I have had this PC for two years. It has worked fine. I recently reformatted due to a networking problem i couldnt fix and got frustrated... Now after my reinstallation EVERY game I play crashes a few minutes into gameplay. Also during regurlar PC use like Internet browsing my screen will freeze and then flash black when the picture returns everything works fine... except for games of course. Here are my specs:

Pentium 4 2.66GHz
512 MB of Corsair Ram
Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP1
Nvidia Geforce 4 128MB Video Card
Nvidia 71.89 Win2kxp video drivers
DirectX 9.0C

Now here is the LONG list of things I have already tried.
I reformatted my computer literally a couple of hours after the first reformatt.
I ran all of the DXDiag tests.
I wiped the video drivers and reinstalled using Driver Cleaner Pro.
I updated my sound card drivers
I disabled my on board sound
I ran SpeedFan to monitor my CPU temp it runs between 32-40 degrees C.

no luck

add another reformatt to that list with no success this time i reverted to a previous driver didnt install direct x 9.0c and only played older games. Still getting monitor flashes and game freezes.

Chipset Drivers Installed?

Did you ever install/reinstall the chipset drivers for your motherboard?

I think besides the chipset drivers, you have the software end covered. PSU testers are cheap and an excellent tool to have on hand.

Have you changed any settings in the BIOS?

I havent messed with the chipset drivers only drivers post windows startup. Do you think there is a problem with my power supply? and I dont think I've made any changes to the Bios I've only accessed the startup menu to boot from cd.

Chipset Drivers are NOT Optional

You have to install the chipset drivers for your motherboard. This is probably the reason your system is crashing. I think Windows has some generic/default drivers that it uses just so your system is functional, BUT it is most important to download and install the most current chipset drivers supplied by your motherboard manufacture.

You will need to know the make and model of your motherboard and possibly the board revision too. Go to the manufacture's website and download and install them.

It makes no sense to consider your PSU or any other component until you have done this step. If you need any help with this, post back.

If you think I should update my chipset maybe you can direct me to the right drivers, my MB is a MSI SiS 655 designed for INtel Pentium 4 (Northwood) processor.

It's one of these three boards...

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=655_Max-FISR(HT Ready)

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=655_Max-LS

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=655_Max-FISR

Figure out which one and download/install the updated drivers. OR you can simply download/install Live Update and let that run. It will detect exactly what mobo you have and download and install the appropriate drivers. You will actually pick which drivers to install.

Post back if you need more help.

Thank you

I updated the agp drivers and so far so good i need to give it more of a stress test but I think we fixed it thank you so much for your time

AWESOME! Glad to Help

Just keep in mind that the chipset drivers are different than the AGP driver. You should still look for the chipset drivers.

Ok, just IDE and AGP then...

I thought that there should be a driver for the actual chipset (northbridge and southbridge chips), but I guess I was wrong. Looks like you just need the IDE, AGP, and SATA/Raid if you use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back