SERIOUS "Hardware Configuration Problem"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening,

Two weeks ago I got a message when the computer was booting up that said "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware"

This message was in conjunction with a repetitive clunking noise eminating from the hard drive. I immediately assume the hard drive failed and went out and got a new one. The old hard drive is a WD 160 GB SATA and the new one is a Hitachi 250 GB SATA drive.

I have an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ CPU and an ASUS A7N8X-E mother board. I built this system less than a year ago. Upon booting from the Windows XP CD and hitting F6 to add the Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATA Raid controller OS drivers I was able to select the new Hitachi HD for installation of Win XP. When it completed it's reboot and restarted windows I was surprised to see the exact same "hardware configuration" error message that I originally got with the WD HD that I assumed was no good anymore. Frustrated at this I shut the computer off and went to bed.

The next day I started the computer to try to solve the problem, but upon booting I did not get the error message and it loaded Win XP from the SATA drive. I thought my problem was fixed, but when I installed the NVidia sound drivers and had to restart XP when the computer rebooted I got the same "hardware configuration" error. It has happened everytime I start the computer.

I did a search on this website and found a solution at https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic11762.html, but after getting through all the steps listed in the 3rd post once I get to step 8 and select the 1st item on the boot menu I get the same error message.

I've even followed the steps in this thread https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8356 with no success. The same error message pops up.

I need help bad! Does anyone have a viable solution. Thanks!
-Seriously Frustrated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back