Serious Networking Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

BryanAU

I'm trying to fix my friend's laptop. She just got back from italy and now under her properties for her wireless network connection there is no service to connect to. The router is right here and she has a network card in her laptop but it can't find anything. I tried using cmd and ipconfig and search for her IP then maybe using that through IE, but it says the media is disconnected and iget an ip address like fe800:ffff:Ffff:Ffff... anyone have any clue what could be wrong?

Is it wire or wireless? try reinstall the driver, make sure the current network is functioning... from my experience when the Media disconnect is usually mean it not connect to the network (cable, router, NIC drivers) or perhaps a faulty NIC itself...

the laptop is wireless but the computer im on right now is connected to the router through a CAT5. The laptop is picking up no networks in the area at all. Anything I should try?

Is the NIC enabled?
Check through Control Panel - Network Connections and see if the NIC is enabled or disabled.

It may be picking up an IPv6 IP address, which in theory should be fine (fe800:ffff:Ffff:Ffff). But if you can't browse the net, make sure the NIC is functioning correctly before you proceed.

BryanAU said:
the NIC is enabled but theres the infamous red X on it so it won't connect =[
ok, the driver is bad or missing; descend into the properties and uninstall it and then reboot.

second, IPv4 is more typical, so disable IPv6 and you'll see aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd addreess again

Try plugging the cat5 into the NIC on the laptop to see if it detects the connection.

Go to Control Panel > Network Connections > Find the proper LAN connection > right click and go properties > Select TCP/IP from the list and hit properties > Make sure obtain automatically is selected for both DNS/IP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back