TechSpot

serious problem involving : win xp, dos, system restore.

By walkdontwalk
Aug 2, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bloody heck, i fear i have destroyed everything.

i will spare you the details, but basically. . is it possible to restore your comp with System Restore (on XP). . via dos?. . as i cant log in to windows (starts logging me out the instant it logs in)

i created a dos boot disk on a working xp machine, booted with it on the broken machine, and can get a dos command screen up .what now?

Or are there any other dos functions i could attempt in order to fix the problem?

And also, (its a "Tiny" computer), the HDD has a special section of it (maybe even a seperate partition?) containing the OS in its original state, right? (or wrong) . .so can i some how restore the computer to its factory settings, by deleting everything other than the OS in its original state?. . i dont have a copy of Windows on CD, nor a reload CD thingy

Bearing in mind that i cant get into windows, so all of this needs to be via dos . . i think . .well, i dont know, thats why im asking you lovely people:D

help would be much appreciated. this isnt even my own computer which i have destroyed, so im panicking. .
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Without any 'Tiny' restore disks, it will be impossible to get the original situation back.
    Check any 'Tiny' forums for people who could burn you such a CD or CDs.
    DOS does not even work on an XP disk in NTFS.
    You see a command-window, but that is NOT DOS!
  3. walkdontwalk

walkdontwalk TS Rookie Topic Starter

p.s.

i dont think this comp is using NTFS, its fat 32 .. unless im horribly mistaken.
  4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

With such tasteless comments (some posts were deleted by me), look for help from someone else.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.