TechSpot

Serious Problem

By Orezbus
Jan 11, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey everyone,

I am experiencing a problem where my computer will go into a "freeze", I'm not sure of the proper idiom, but everything stops, yet the mouse is still movable. I'm freezing occures randomly, whether its when I'm surfing the net or writing in a document, fortunately the computer kicks back into action about 2-5 minutes later (very frustrating). In this period of time I have tried using ctrl+alt+delete, but nothing happens. After restarting my computer, I decided to see if any programs running may be taking all the CPU space, but upon pressing ctrl+alt+delete, nothing happens except the computer beeps back at me. Maybe these problems are linked??? I don't know, any advise would be greatly appreciated. My OS is ME special edition.
    It could be a virus but everytime I open a virus scan, my computer freezes...
    Thanks.
  2. Shiney

Shiney TS Enthusiast Posts: 223

Check your device manager for any conflicts, run scandisk, download and run Stinger.exe from http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    Has this problem just started ? if so what was the last system alteration or software/driver installation you did?.

During the period the computer freezes do you have disk activity?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.