Serious Problems with Biostar motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Specs.

Amd64 3000+
Biostar K8NHA Grand (or something like that, but it is the Grand)
512 Memory
6800 GT OC

Everytime I try and play a game all I get is freeze ups and my computer will shutdown. Its mainly FPS games like DoD:Source and CS:Source. Anytime I attempt too play the game will freeze up literally every few seconds for about 2-3 seconds making it pretty much unplayable. I know its the MOBO cause with my old setup I had no problems and thats the only thing I changed along with the Processor.

Another weird thing too note is that I can only install a 512 stick of memory and only in the far left slot, if I try too install it on the far right it wont boot up, if i try and put another stick of memory in I get a error saying Windows Cant be found. I have 1 stick of 512 and 3 of 256 and ive tried putting them in every way you possibly can and it gives me a different error everyime.

If you can help me figure this out ill send you a white chocolate bar.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Two things spring to mind.

Either an overheating issue, or possibly a psu issue.

When you put the new cpu in, did you use good quality thermal paste, and is the heatsink properly attached?

What psu do you have?

Is it a good quality psu, or a cheap no name brand?

I`m not sure what the ram problem could be, unless of course the ram you`re trying to use isn`t compatible with the mobo. Check your mobo manual, or the mobo manufacturers website for what ram they recommend.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

The thermal paste was quality it came with my Fan which is a mother and its on their correctly me and my buddy put it on. My computer runs at about 88-90 F.

The memory is 3200 Kingston and its compatible according too their website.

The PSU is a Codegen 550 watt.

Ok.

Can you give us the exact model of your mobo?

If you click on the first link in my signature, you can find out how to get the info.

As for your psu, take a look at this thread HERE You will notice that your Codegen psu, is on the psu`s to avoid list. This may, or may not be part of your problem.

Regards Howard :) :)

K8nha Grand Socket 754

• Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 and Sempron processors

Chipset:
NVIDIA nForce3 250 GB

• Memory:
2 x 184-pin DDR400 memory modules
Maximum 2GB system memory

• Slots:
1 x AGP (8x)
5 x PCI

• IDE:
4 x EIDE devices
Ultra DMA 33/66/100//133

• I/O:
1 x Parallel, 1 x Serial
1 x PS/2 mouse, 1x PS/2 keyboard
8 x USB 2.0 (4 rear, 4 front)
1 x Speak-out, 1 x Line-in, 1 x Mic.-in
1 x RJ-45 LAN jack
2 x 1394 Port (1 x Rear, 1 x Front)
1 x Floppy connector
2 x IDE connector
1 x Front audio header
2 x SATA connector
1 x IrDA
1 x SPDIF Out
1 x CD-in connector
1 x Chassis Intrusion connetcor
1 x System fan connector
1 x CPU fan connector

I`ve just been looking at your mobo manual, not that it helped any.

I have to agree with you that the mobo itself could be the culprit, as could the psu.

Would it be possible for you to try another psu?

I can`t for the life in me think what the ram problem may be, other than either a faulty dimm slot, or faulty ram.

I guess no chocolate bar for me then lol.

Regards Howard :)

I had the same problems with my last power supply, thats why I sorda upgraded. It was a power supply with Pentium4 on the side.

Also the ram worked fine with my last MOBO so I dont guess that would be it. Whatever it is its driving me crazy.

oh and ya, no candy bar for you.

The reason I keep harping on about your psu, is because a cheap nasty psu will struggle to put out anywhere near it`s rated power output.

Even a good quality psu like Antec/Enermax etc will only ahieve around 70% efficiency.

For example. A 500watt psu with an efficiency of 70% will comfortably put out a sustained power output of 350 watts.

A cheap psu might only have an efficiency of 50%, so 500watts is only actually 250watts.

Note, this is somewhat of a simplistic view, as there are other factors involved. What I am talking about is sustained stable power.

Take a look at this psu wattage calculator HERE Just remember to add another 30% to whatever figure it gives you.

Would it make any difference if I told you that my computer works just fine on any other games, its just FPS games that screw up really bad.

One thing that could be the problem is my motherboard has 24pins on it but the PSU has only a 20pin connector. I mean the computer boots up fine and all and it fits just fine. I dunno.

Ok, well ive figured out that it isnt an overheating problem. Its bout 20 degrees in my house and im still having problems. Soooo I guess Biostar just sucks or its my PSU ,but that wouldnt make sense since this PSU worked with my old setup. Arg Biostar........

Ok, so it isnt just FPS games I cant play AOE3 either. I dunno. Also my computer goes through phases where it will take ram then it decides it doesnt like it anymore and i have to take it out. I got 756ram working for a few weeks and everything ran smooth as bells, then it decided it didnt like the ram and refused too start up.

So ive come too a conclusion.

#1- My computer is alive.

#2- My computer is retarded.

Blackdog12285 said:
One thing that could be the problem is my motherboard has 24pins on it but the PSU has only a 20pin connector. I mean the computer boots up fine and all and it fits just fine. I dunno.

You need to get a 20 to 24 pin converter for your psu.

If that doesn`t help, then try a different psu.

Hey Howard heres some things that might help detemine the problem.

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type ITE IT8712F (ISA 290h)
GPU Sensor Type Maxim MAX6646 (NV-I2C 4Ch)
Motherboard Name Biostar iDEQ 200P / 210P

Temperatures:
CPU 43 °C (109 °F)
GPU 57 °C (135 °F)
GPU Ambient 46 °C (115 °F)
Maxtor 6Y080L0 37 °C (99 °F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 2083 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.52 V
+3.3 V 3.26 V
+5 V 5.03 V
+12 V 11.71 V
+5 V Standby 5.03 V
AGP 1.49 V
Debug Info V 5F 5D CC BB B7 8D 97 BB (67)
Debug Info T 80 127 43

It also says my board only supports DDR400 but dont know how to tell whether my memory is 400.

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.52 V
+3.3 V 3.26 V
+5 V 5.03 V
+12 V 11.71 V
+5 V Standby 5.03 V
AGP 1.49 V

I`m a little concerned that your +12v and +3.3v are a little down. I know it`s not by much, but what voltages are you getting, when the system is under heavy load?

Did you get the 20 to 24 pin converter?

Havent gotten the converter yet, I dunno where to find one. Im also a little low on cash right now. For checking voltages under pressure I guess I could just minimize the game and run a report. Dunno if that'll get the full effect though.

Ok, I guess I can find one at Best Buy, and theyre only like 3 bucks so ill give it a try. I wonder what chances their are that this will fix it. :knock:

Okay while playing games these are my heat and voltage readings:

Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type ITE IT8712F (ISA 290h)
GPU Sensor Type Maxim MAX6646 (NV-I2C 4Ch)
Motherboard Name Biostar iDEQ 200P / 210P

Temperatures
CPU 49 °C (120 °F)
GPU 61 °C (142 °F)
GPU Ambient 52 °C (126 °F)
Maxtor 6Y080L0 38 °C (100 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 2033 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.52 V
+3.3 V 3.23 V
+5 V 5.03 V
+12 V 11.71 V
+5 V Standby 5.05 V
AGP 1.49 V

Nothing wrong with your temps, and the voltages haven`t fluctuated much either.

Get the 20 to 24 pin converter, and see what happens.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Welp! I have been driving for about 3 hours and have been to about 7 stores and finally found the converter at a Fries thats about an hour from where I live, HURRAY!!! So I am driving home so excited cause Q4 is coming out and this HAS to fix my problem. I get home open my computer up and then let go a "horrid scream!" Because it was then I realized that my computer was a 20 pin and my PSU was a 24/20 pin, So this day sucks big time and im once again lost, and I feel like the biggest ***** on the planet.

So, only thing it can be is either my motherboard, or my memory or my PSU..... I dont know where to start and have next to no cash so, Pls Howard I need you "QUAKE 4 TOMMOROW!!!"

I`m so sorry you had a wasted journey.

I really don`t know what else I can tell you.

Yes it is possible that your mobo/ram are bad, but I still think you`ve got a psu issue.

Just to be on the safe side, check your ram. Look HERE for instructions on how to do this.

Take a look at your mobo, check to see if any of the capacitors are domed, or leaking. Look HERE for more info about this.

Regards Howard :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back