Server 2000 end of life

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how concerned do I really need to be?

We have a few Windows 2000 Server boxes, but they are not used for DNS, or DHCP, etc. Just needed on the network to share files/folders because XP does not share well with others.

So if I ignore the end of life support for Windows 2000-server on July 13th how big of a deal will it really be?

XP is Client OS not Server OS it doesn't use the memory the same way. Time to backup those old share/files/folders and implement new hardware. You buy one Qnap NAS to take over from the old Server 2000 boxes.

Right, I know there are several NAS options if I wanted to "replace" the 2000-server. Those all have a cost associated...both in dollars and time. But I'm curious what my overall risk would be if i did nothing, and just let the 2000-server sit there with the July 13th Windows Update for ever and ever. I would still have my Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware software protecting it.

I suspect there are no immediate problems with 'just soldiering on', but there could be snags as follows .
1. If you are still running a ten-year-old OS, how old are the boxes themselves ? Look to a max age of maybe 6-8 years before some hardware failure just wrecks the server.
2. You will not be able to just reinstall the server OS on modern hardware - the drivers will not be available.
3. You may shortly find that your antimalware vendors will no longer support the OS. You therefore will find that updating them becomes imposssible, and no alternatives will be available.
4. If you elect to just carry on with the same old malware protection you will be wide open to new malware threats.

I would make a decision based on - are the servers exposed to the internet?. If so, replace them fairly soon. If not, no need to panic yet.

I would think that if you have a good software firewall, and your AV still works/updates I think you are pretty safe. I wouldn't use IE on it though...

BTW your post hints that you are operating Win2000 server in a business environment. Just one further consideration...

Depending upon exactly what that business is, there could be legal requirements upon you to retain financial information, including invoices and payments, and communications (including emails) for a period of time (seven years in the UK for example). You are also obliged to protect those records against loss. In the case of (for example) no longer having your anti-malware suite updated regularly, that would be a breach of the law.

Nope

No, I don't think it's a problem. Just remember that starting this Patch Tuesday, you won't get any help from Microsoft.

Right, I know there are several NAS options if I wanted to "replace" the 2000-server. Those all have a cost associated...both in dollars and time. But I'm curious what my overall risk would be if i did nothing, and just let the 2000-server sit there with the July 13th Windows Update for ever and ever. I would still have my Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware software protecting it.

Look at what happen to NT Server, Sever 2000, Server 2003. Though it's really up to you. Support will be dropped on Server 2000. Run it until you have the funds to upgrade to a new blade or turn a workstation into server and run Server 2008 on it or better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back