Server Explorer tree help

Status
Not open for further replies.

italianrock72

A co-worker of mine asked me a question. He has an engineering program he uses. He needs to use an image of a part that is in our public system, the network that everyone uses on the server where we store all kinds of pictures and such. Well we he gets the part, he has to go into the My Computer, then the Public Drive, then the Drawings Folder, then the next folder, then the folder that has the part that he needs. This is where my question comes into play. The very next thing he does he has to use the part that he just pulled up again. Except it goes back to my computer and he has to click through all the folders again, (wasting time and taking forever) to get to the part he was just at. Is there any way to set it up where when he goes to get the part, that it will open to the last place he was just at to get the part. Is there any way to set it up so that he doesn't have to waste time clicking back through all the folders, which is very time consuming?

Thanks for your help. (I told him I would come to this website and post because someone would likely know the answer). Don't disappoint me TechSpot.

why not using a bookmark?
to be honest I don't see the problem. what os is it? what explorer program? please post back

How do you use a bookmark? It's Microsoft Windows XP Professional 2002. The problem is that time is being wasted by having to go back through all the folders to get back to the file he last used. Please explain how to use a bookmark.

Bookmark?? I think what you need is a shortcut.. In Windows Explorer or under my computer right click the folder in question, select Send To, Desktop (create shortcut). This will place an icon on your desktop that when you click it will take you directly to that folder.

enable Folder view which will keep the tree in the left panel and the contents of the
selected folder in the right

You dont need to enable folder view under My Computer. Instead just use Windows Explorer which already has folder view enabled. You can find it under Start->All Programs->Accessories->Windows Explorer. You can send a shortcut to Windows Explorer to the desktop and you can change the default folder it opens as well Instructions here . But if you routinely go to the same folder a shortcut to folder placed on the desktop is a quicker way to get to it.

That doesn't help. I don't think you understand gguera. That just puts the folder on the desktop, I need it to come up to the last folder I was in. In Microsoft Outlook for Example, I want to add an image to an e-mail. I go to insert picture, then say start at desktop, click on my pictures, click on Trucks, click on Parts, click on Img001. Then it puts the picture in. And say I want to put another picture in, I click on picture and it opens up in the Parts Folder with the Img's that are in that folder. The program I am using is Autodesk Inventor 2009. Now what Autodesk Inventor does is goes back to the desktop and I have to click through all the folders again, given I have a lot of folders and this takes about 30 seconds to go through (do this say for a 100 different parts and that is 50 minutes, a lot of time just wasted), and the Folder View in the left hand corner will only show like 3 folders because it will not stretch open.

You were not specific in your original question. The problem lies with Autodesk Inventor in not remembering where you were last. I am not familiar with that program but it may have a setting that tells it where you store images and such. (A default folder for drawings for example). If not then you MAY be able to copy and past from a folder. Select the drawing from a folder, click Edit, Copy and then go back to Inventor and paste. Again I stress this MAY work it may not. You mentioned My Computer in your original question... that is not Autodesk Inventor. so I gave you instructions on that. You could also consult the documentation for Inventor or a forum dedicated to Inventor. Here is one right here I found on google http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=3138127&linkID=9242018. Heres another forum site that has something for Inventor http://www.cadforum.cz/forum_en/.. Do a google search on the problem as well. You should be able to find someone that has already encountered this problem or post your own question..

I stated "He has an engineering program he uses. He needs to use an image of a part that is in our public system, the network that everyone uses on the server where we store all kinds of pictures and such. Well we he gets the part, he has to go into the My Computer, then the Public Drive, then the Drawings Folder, then the next folder, then the folder that has the part that he needs." The engineering program being Autodesk Inventor 2009. Thanks for taking time out of your life to try to answer my question though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back