Services hang after installing Windows Vista SP1 RC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mormol

Hi, I ve been experiencing the following problem since I installed the service pack 1 RC on windows vista ultimate:
Certain services fail to start, though when I look in services.msc it appears as they are "starting" i.e. pending, though I cannot start or stop them. These services are :

-Windows Audio Endpoint Builder, status: starting -> this causing also the WindowsAudio service not to start because this service is depended upon windows audio endpoint builder. I changed the dependencies in Windows Audio service to fix that problem temporarily.
-Windows Image Aquisition (WIA) , status: starting
-Volume SHadow Copy, status: stopping, so I cannot create a restore point

This does not happen after every time I restart, but on 75% of the occasions. Also, USB devices dont work and if I connect an external USB drive for example, it cannot start (it doesnt get a drive letter assigned). I also cannot create a restore point, and when I shut down the computer, it doesnt turn off after windows log off, but I guess this is because there are still those services pending.Finally, there are delays on some actions, the pc hangs for a while before executing programs, especially through the start menu, and frequently windws explorer crashes because of it.
I suspect everything has something to do with those services.
Any ideas? Thanks!

It would be useful to know the configuration... motherboard, power supply, cpu and cpu fan, video graphics, and memory... as well as ages of each.
You appear to have a very fundamental error in one or more of those components.

Thanks for the reply :) My system:
Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
Abit fatality F-I90
Thermaltake Blue orb fan
OCZ DDR2 2GB kit
XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB
Zalman 600 Watt PSU
Seagate 500 GB HD

All of these were bought last June, except for the motherboard and the RAM that were changed in October cause the first ones were faulty.
I dont think it's a hardware error, because everything was fine until I installed SP1, plus it doesnt happen every time I restart, only half the times or so.
Thanks!

Looks as if you have a very good system.
I would uninstall the Service Pack, and await the official version which comes out in about 30 days. Let us know if that resolves the problem.

Hi, this is an update on this oldie. After trying to solve the problem with no luck, I finally formated the disk and installed Windows Vista (32bit) once again, this time without installing the service pack. After a couple of weeks the problem reappeared. I get an error balloon saying "A windows service failed to start" refering to system event notification service, and the audio service doesnt work again. Plus, the computer is very slow and hangs for a while before executing a command.
Any ideas? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back