Set primary monitor failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitAlex

Hello, I have a multiple monitor setup problem with my new mobo ( Gigabyte GA-EG43M-S2H )

The onboard VGA in BIOS is set to Enabled : Always.
I have an Nvidia 7900GS in the PCI-E port.
The Primary display is set to Onboard in the BIOS (because if I set it to PGE(PCI-E Graphics) then the onboard video card driver fails to load in XP, it says "Device failed to start, code 10".

I have 3 monitors, so normally with this setup the BIOS and boot screens appear on the monitor which is plugged in the onboard port, which is fine. Then in XP I want to switch the Windows Primary monitor to one of the monitors connected to the NVidia 7900GS card. It should be possible, but the screen just blinks when I apply the setting and gets back to the onboard connected monitor being primary.

I have already achieved such an operation previously with another motherboard and a regular PCI VGA card and the same NVIdia Card. PCI primary in BIOS and boot, Nvidia primary in Windows. Here with the onboard PCI VGA chip, no way of making my NVidia connected monitor to be the Windows Primary one.

Do you have any suggestions please ? All drivers are up to date, XP has all patches.

Thanks

USUALLY, when you install a video card you need to DISABLE the onboard controller.
Dual monitors is typically seen with dual output ports on the video card OR
a 'Y' connector from a single ported controller.

Yea usually, but there are 3 monitors, two on the nvidia card and one on the onboard video controller ;) i know what i'm doing :)

I'll reiterate; Usually, the onboard chip is mutually exclusive with the video add-on
unless you have motherboard documentation that says otherwise.

best wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back