TechSpot

setting agp 8x for asus p5p800

By jeisus
Jan 4, 2007
  1. I just got a new video card and it is a agp8x. my motherboard supports agp8x but i cannot figure out how to set it to 8x. everytime i set it in my ati software i restart and its back at 0.

2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

Read your mobo manual and check your bios.

3. jeisus

jeisus TS Rookie Topic Starter

i have spent about an hour goign through each bios, and my manual doesnt say waht to do. i have changed my graphics apeture to 256mb, and i have also changed my frequency to 80.00/40.00

4. Rik

If your bios is anything like mine (my specs are in my profile) then agp speed needs to be set to auto in order for it to work.

What makes you think you have an agp speed issue?

5. jeisus

Well, in my catalyst menu it has an option to set agp speed to 1 2 4 8 and mine is set at off (or 0). When i set it to 8 and restart its back at 0.

should i set my mhz to auto instead of 80/40?

6. Rik

Did you uninstall the driver and all software for your old card before fitting the new one?

7. jeisus

yes i had it fully uninstalled and instaleld my card correctly. it is clocking at 600mhz when it should be at 1380

8. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

in BIOS you have to SAVE your settings. usually F10 key. Then ensure all your drivers are up to date. Also ensure your graphics RAM in your BIOS matches your card. 128 for 128, 64 for 64, etc..

9. jeisus

i have already saved my settings and my card and bios are at 256 plus all drives areu p to date

10. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

then it has to be a software/driver issue.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.