TechSpot

setting up 2 hard drives with xp

By jeffdogg
Jun 21, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i'm building my first computer and i want to install 2 hard drives on it using xp, i just want to use the second for storage, for music, games, etc... i'm pretty sure i cant use xp on 2 hard drives cause you can only use that product key once. Is there a way i can format it to ntfs without windows? I know its a stupid question and i will probably get laughed off the site lol.. But if sombody could be of help it would be greatly appreciated... :(

2. NEO|Phyte

NEO|Phyte TS Rookie

All you need to do is set up Windows on your primary hard drive, and have the 2nd one installed in your computer. As long as you have the jumper pins set properly, Windows will be able to use both hard drives.

3. jeffdogg

jeffdogg TS Rookie Topic Starter

so just leave the second hard drive blank? dont format it or nothing? :rolleyes:

4. NEO|Phyte

NEO|Phyte TS Rookie

you can format through windows, to either NTFS or FAT32 file system

5. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Once you get windows installed you can right click on my computer and choose MANAGE, then choose Disk Management. In there you will see if it is formatted or not, and you can format it as well.

BTW
    :wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:
    Both of you :D

6. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 1,267

We don't laugh (not even at jokes). It is a basic question but we all started without knowledge.

7. jeffdogg

jeffdogg TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the help guys, one day i hope to be as full of knowledge as yall, until then i'll keep learning :wave:

8. merryjoulton

merryjoulton TS Rookie

:haha: now that's funny

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.