TechSpot

Setting up a game server

By labuerkle
Sep 13, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I will be upgrading my cable speed soon and I was wondering if any one knows if I will have enough bandwith to run a game server. My bandwith will be 2.5 up and 512 down. I wanted to run 16 person server for battlefield 1942.

Thanks

Larry

2. Tweakster

Tweakster TS Rookie Posts: 224

What Operating SYtem u got also Will it be dedicated ? Also Memory is important LOADS of it.

3. labuerkle

labuerkle TS Rookie Topic Starter

OS

I'm thinking of trying Linux redat and I if I can't make that work it will be XP Professional. It will also be using AMD 2100 with 512 megs DDR.

My biggest question regardless of horse power, because I could always buy more. Will I have enough bandwith using a cable modem when I upgrade. As much as I would like I can't afford a T1.

Oh yeah, it will be dedicated.

Thanks

Larry

4. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

Cable is plenty enough bandwidth for a server. Actually, it's about the average for most game servers out there today. You really shouldn't have a problem.

And if it wasn't enough bandwidth, then people just won't visit your server, which isn't going to happen.

5. labuerkle

labuerkle TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the infor

You told me every thing I wanted to hear:)

Larry

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.