Setting up a low speed computer, what software to use??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ph30nIX

Hi there,

Soon i am going to be getting some old computers from the school, re-formatting them and then completly re-installing the OS,AV software, and a firewall. I was wondering what would be best for a computer that is about:
266Mhz, 64-192mb RAM (most likely 64mb), and about a 2-5Gb HDD, also possibly a crappy GFX Card.

One thing to keep in mind is that most people who are recieving them will probably be incompetent, so i think that a version of windows will probably be the best option, i have 98,2000,XPhome.XPpro.
Im guessing that 98/2000 will be the best, im pretty sure that they will already have 2000 installed so that will be a good bonus.

Thanks,
Ph30nIX.

Anything under 128MB RAM definitely Windows 98SE.
Make life easy for yourself and give them all W98SE.
If for some PCs you decide on W2K, format in FAT32, don't use NTFS, those disks are too slow.

And DON'T use the PCs the way they come. Format and reinstall from scratch for ALL of them!

yea, i was thinking of re-installing from scratch, in the way of virus protection etc, what would be a good option considering the low speed?

I'd go with 98SE to many hardware issues after that
no opinions from me on software try diff flavors and pick one that works (for now)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back