Setting up a small office network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I have a small office network to set up for database but i dont know much about it.. im more on peer to peer network ( sharing files and printers from workgroups).

here is the current setup:

8 computers running MS XP pro media center edition. with internet connected in a wireless with 4 port router.

Planning to setup:

Install a server and create a domain which will connect the 8 workstations

I would like it to run only on Desktop server (Pentium 4 3.4 ghz, 1g memory, 250 sata hdisk, Mboard Built in lan, vidcard, sound).

which is better OS MS SBS 2003 or MS Win server 2003 standard edition SP1. if you can teach me a step by step setup how to create domain and connect workstations easy.

If anyone could give me some help I would greatly appreciate it. tnanks

maybe better to use apache
most addon's free
and or make a linux server box if you can handle linux
apache is on the disc

my server now runs apache ,linux
are you going to have website to??
if not just need to go to SBS

onigfive said:
Hi. I have a small office network to set up for database but i dont know much about it.. i

Right just stop there....

Really would you expect to try and build a formula 1 race car with advice from the web, I mean Ok it would run for a while, if at all, but in the end it will fail and cause you heart ache,

I have been messing with PC OS's for years and recently setup a domain at home, for me it was hard even with all the experience I have, theres PC's to set up, DHCP servers, accounts, rights, security, print servers, etc etc so imagine just how hard it will be for someone like yourself.

Take my advice and hire a qualified IT expert for a small price, think of the peace of mind you will have as well as the support from an expert.

Just my 5p worth

I started with the ask people in forums like this
would not pay someone to do something I needed to learn
ran my own server at office for 2 yrs with no problems
onigfive go for it
ignore negative unless you want to pay out lots of cash and be at some it's mercy cause you don't know your own system
you can do it
I just don't like MS stuff when I can get better and more support for free

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back