TechSpot

Setting up a WEP key

By matt9801
Sep 13, 2009
  1. Ok my main router is a wired Linksys BEFSR41 and i have that router sending an ethernet cable upstairs to the wireless router in my room. When i try to access the router the only one I get is the wired one which does not have a wireless menu in order to make a wep key.

Even though I can only access the wired router and not add a WEP key my wireless router is still accessible via wireless. Now I was wondering if there is a way to add a WEP key to my router.

2. strategic

strategic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,274

Do you have an overlap in IP addresses with both routers? Personally, I would go with something like the following which handles both wired/wireless networks and will save you from headaches in the future. Linksys Router
    I have this setup at home and works great (only mine is wireless-G-, which I'm not too concerned since I don't use wireless too often.

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,446   +324

disconnect the two router from each other, then WIRE a connection to the wireless
    and go through the WiFi setup. DISABLE the DHCP service on the WiFi Router.

now recable like this:
    Code:
    modem---(wan)router1(lan)-----(lan)BEFSR41
    leaving the BEFSR41-WAN port empty.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.