Setting up high speed and wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, I've been on dial-up since I had my own home computer, which would be about 4 years now, and finally, I will be getting cable internet before the year is over.

I was just wondering what to expect, how everything generally gets set up, because I honestly can't say I know exactly what I'll be doing.

I know I'll have to hook the cable line into a modem, but from there, I'm pretty much lost. The cable line is about 30-40 feet away in the other room, which makes me wonder if it'd be necessary to get a wireless router, and how would I go about setting THAT up. Then how do I still get the cable hooked up to the television if it's connected to the modem?

If anyone would be so kind as to let me in on how this is all going to work, that'd be great.

I know computers fairly well, so I'll understand explanations; but since I've only been exposed to dial-up personally, I'm clueless.

Thanks.

wow, still on dial up all this time? ;)

Am not sure if true for all cable, but i can tell you from what i know a "splitter" is connected to the incoming cable to split the data from the TV stuff. so you have a single connector but will end up with two wires.

So you'd have
incoming cable <Splitter> Data only cable <Choices> Computer

where Choices could be

1) just a cable modem, or
2) cable modem to a router , or
3)Combination modem/router device

With just one computer you wouldn't need router for its connection sharing but don't know if needed for other reasons

Also, you should check and see what the cable company will charge you for cable modem monthly rental vs. what it costs to just buy your own of whatever (assuming you know what you need)

e.g. I think RCN was gonna charge $5/month when i first got my cable (their fee since dropped to $3/month). But i bought my own for about $60 or so... like 5 or more years ago.. so good to figure out what works for you

haha yeah, I'm still on dial-up. I had a friend just tell me today, "I honestly didn't know dial-up still existed."

I'll probably just buy a modem instead of rent. Simplifies everything for me.

Anyway, yeah, this helps clarify. Thanks man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back