TechSpot

Setting up network for games

By chanman
Feb 18, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puke: can some one hlep me set up a net work i can play games on!!
  2. isatippy

isatippy TS Rookie Posts: 593

What do you want to know about it. How many comps do you have. :hotouch:
  3. chanman

chanman TS Rookie Topic Starter

i have 2 computers one with xp home the other with pro. i can not see the other computer.i can not play games with it eather. :hotbounce
  4. isatippy

What do you mean you can't see the other comp :suspiciou
  5. chanman

chanman TS Rookie Topic Starter

what???

:(some time i can see it but i can not get in to the Folders i have a d-link router :mad:
  6. isatippy

Ok make sure you have installed every thing right and have you gone throw the add a network if not do that. :hotouch:
  7. tom_pearson

tom_pearson TS Rookie Posts: 103

also make sure you have set permisions on the files you have shared. for example run the network setup wizard and make sure file and printer sharing is enabled. are you wired or wireless???
  8. knuckleball

knuckleball TS Rookie Posts: 88

make sure you have both set to same workgroup also
  9. HoopaJoop

HoopaJoop TS Rookie Posts: 202

Most games don't require your machines to be able to see each other's files. They almost all connect to each other through IP connections. As long as you have a router handing out DHCP addresses your machines should be on the same subnet allowing ip connections to occur.

You just need to make sure you don't have any static IP's. If you do, then make sure all machines on the network have unique IPs in the same subnet.

Just turning on file and printer sharing without thought of security is a bad idea. If you intend to share files among the machines that is a different subject.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.