setting up network through windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowman

ok, windows is starting to frustrate me. big surprise huh? my problem is that i cant set up a home network that works. here is my hardware set-up. i have two computers runing windows xp. one has a wireless adapter and the other has the router connected via ethernet. i have a linksys wireless router connecting the two. internet works flawlessly. and i can see that both of the computers are connected to the router. but when i go to set up the network i cant see either computer in my network places and it wont let me play games through the network. if you need more info let me know. any and all help is appreciated. thanks!

A few things to try- Install IPX/SPX on both machines. Even though NetBios over TCP/IP is officially supported in Windows XP, I've found that it doesn't work for a rats arse.

Check your Router setup- be sure that you have the appropriate settings to allow traffic between local ports, and forbid it from the outside world. I think it uses UDP, not sure (need to re-read up on this.)

Can you access the machines by doing \\ipaddress\?

Be sure you have file sharing installed on both, as well.. and have shared folders appropriately. If you don't have files shared, the computer for sure won't listen.

In My Computer's properties, check your network identification to be sure both machines are in the same workgroup. T his can help with many issues.

i have confirmed they are on the same workgroup and file sharing is installed on both and the router isset to default so i think it should work. and the only thing i havent tried goalie is the IPX/SPX thing, i dont know what that is.

I have the same set-up. Did you run the network wizard on the machine connected to the router via ethernet? Also, make sure the XP firewall is turned off on both machines.

If you are connecting through the WAN interface on the Linksys router then the default setting will definently not let you use Windows Networking.

If you are using firewall software on any of the computers then you will definently not be able to use WIndows Networking by default.

Can you access the other computer via its IP address by typing \\4.octets.of.ipaddress in WIndows Explorer?

You are better off leaving all sorts of wizards alone and doing things manually with the help of some guide (zillions of posts on TS concerning how to set up file sharing).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back