Setting up wireless NTL broadband! HOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwenborn

Hi,

I am currently an NTL dial-up user and I am using my laptop to connect to the internet. I am now going to buy a desktop computer and I would also like to upgrade to NTL broadband. I assume, however I am not to sure how cable broadband works that the modem which I would use to connect to the broadband internet would be downstairs next to my phone socket this is a problem seeing as I would need to be able to use the internet with both my desktop and laptop upstairs without long wires trailing all round the house, so I want to buy a wireless router that will transmit my internet wirelessly upstairs to my desktop and laptop. I would also like to connect my printer wirelessly. Now, I think to do all this I need a router, a USB adaptor for the desktop and a wireless printer server (I already have built in wireless capabilities for my laptop).

My questions are:

1) Is this possible as information I have read so far seems to suggest that I have to have at least one computer connected to the internet with wires to be able to use other computers wirelessly. However, I don’t think this would be possible for me.

2) If I can do this, how? and would the following be the right equipment needed for the job. A Belkin 802.11g Wireless DSL/Cable Gateway Router, a Belkin Wireless G USB Print Server and a Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter.

Thank you for your help,

Cwenborn

1) It is most certainly possible. You do need to connect a PC using wired connection to the router and the print server for the initial configuration. After you have set everything up, you can go all wireless no problem. Better keep the cable around for emergencies though :)

2) Choosing all products from the same manufacturer is a good idea. I personally wouldn't be confident with Belkin, but there are many people who say their Belkin products work just fine.

Good, but how does the whole thing work? You said I must connect my router to my computer with wires but won’t that mean I won’t be able to keep my desktop upstairs?

Sorry my brain is getting scrambled my all this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back