Setup a chat room.-how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thewoosterisroot

So hey, yeah, what would be the best way to go about setting up a chat room? I know I can google this and all, and will, but I wanna hear from people I know know what they are doing, and have had more experience so....

Basically I want a login chat room (secure) and easy to use. Something with the feel of msn messenger. It needs to be simple (for non savy users), secure, and free. It does not need to be able to handle many more than 10 people at this current time. So is there a free, secure way I could do this? Do I need to setup a server of my own? What would be the best way to go about this? Thanks guys!

*Edit*

Preferably internet/javascript based so there is no need for someone to install an app. I can setup a home server if needed.

I haven't heard of a chat client like what you described.. Although you can just make a channel on an IRC server. Doesn't matter what server really. All you would have to do is download mIRC (which is free) and pick a server to use, join a channel, register it and have others get on. Sure it's not much like MSN but it works good. As for security you can set a password on the room if you want to, so nobody can get in and such. If you choose to do this I can help.
-Steve

*Just noticed your last line stating that you wouldn't care to have people install an app.*
If the server you choose has a website, chances are they have a java applet.

Really? Yeah I had thought about IRC, but didn't know enough about it to do anything. Thanks! I'll give that try! :)

*edit* And yeah, I'll want a password and all. Any tips, help would be welcome!

You can get hold of IRC Server software for your PC all you have to do is leave the program running, you could even put it on an old machine, it has been a long time since i have used IRC software so i would'nt know what programs are around, i used to use something called IRChat, god knows whether or not it is still around, or if it is called that, memory is a bit lame.

That wouldn't be a great option in my opinion, since using a normal server that you don't have to screw around with works just as good.

Yeah if you want a password for your channel it's easy. If you didn't know already, IRC has a few commands that are easy to remember that you'll use. You can find them in an mIRC help file. Anyway to set a password, once you're in your desired channel, you type /mode #channelname +k <password>
And it's set. Whoever you want to come in, have them type /join #channelname <password>
It's simple.

Ok. I don't know if I want to try hosting a server yet or not though. Either way I would like to simply be able to throw the irc channel on a site, is that easy to do? Also I noticed Mirc costs money, is there a freeware version? (I'm just looking for a free alternative right now, I'll probably have a host later on).

Yes it's easy. Lol. I remember when I was going to download mIRC. I was like "wtf it cost money!!" That was a while ago. I was very worrysome that I'd screw up and have to pay for something. Turns out it says it's shareware, but it's not. You can continue to use it without paying after 30 days. It just gets annoying because a little message pops up saying. REGISTER ME. Download mIRC at www.mirc.com and if you need help setting up a channel, I can find you a server and help you out on it.

I am sure you have a reason, but why not use something like ICQ? People have to have authorization from you to add you to their contact list, you can talk to each person individually, or you can have a group chat with as many people as you want to invite... you dont even have to invite everyone on your contact list.

*I seemed to mis-interpret the last line, I though that it said you didnt mind people needing to install an app. Sorry for my savvy ability to overlook things, but for what it is worth... the last I checked ICQ has a "Lite" version that is small and easy to install.

Kurupt said:
Yes it's easy. Lol. I remember when I was going to download mIRC. I was like "wtf it cost money!!" That was a while ago. I was very worrysome that I'd screw up and have to pay for something. Turns out it says it's shareware, but it's not. You can continue to use it without paying after 30 days. It just gets annoying because a little message pops up saying. REGISTER ME. Download mIRC at www.mirc.com and if you need help setting up a channel, I can find you a server and help you out on it.

Ok, so I'm still not quite sure I want to use IRC, but I'm going to at least try it. So I kind of have the whole how to connect to a server and choose/create channel thing down. But how would I setup a channel (either hosting it myself or using another server) to run on a website?

Shaw23 said:
I am sure you have a reason, but why not use something like ICQ? People have to have authorization from you to add you to their contact list, you can talk to each person individually, or you can have a group chat with as many people as you want to invite... you dont even have to invite everyone on your contact list.

*I seemed to mis-interpret the last line, I though that it said you didnt mind people needing to install an app. Sorry for my savvy ability to overlook things, but for what it is worth... the last I checked ICQ has a "Lite" version that is small and easy to install.

Yeah, thanks for the input :). But I would really prefer people not have to install anything, want to keep it as simple as possible.

nathanskywalker said:
Ok, so I'm still not quite sure I want to use IRC, but I'm going to at least try it. So I kind of have the whole how to connect to a server and choose/create channel thing down. But how would I setup a channel (either hosting it myself or using another server) to run on a website?

That's alright if you choose not to use it. But if you do, once you're connected and in the channel, you register the channel. (Make sure your nickname is registered as well.)

I have a server in mind that you could use too, it has a java applet so, for the people you want to have on your channel, you can give them a link. Actually, if you have your own website, I believe you can put the applet on it.

Sweet, ok, what server? And how would I get the applet "Code"? Also, this can be made private right?

Sweet, thanks man, I'll try that and post back latter (today, tomorrow or so).

Ok, I've kinda been messing with it, and it seems to be working. But now, How do I become a channel operator and set a password? I tried to use the command you listed, but it did not seem to work. Thanks.

How about I come on the network with you and I'll show you first hand? :)

***By the way I have a history on CentralChat, so people there don't like me much, so don't be surprised if I get banned or something. They're a bunch of *****s, but for your purposes, it's a good network to use. :p***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back