Setup FTP server

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was able to do it once before but now I cannot get it to work. As a server I use Bulletproof FTP server & SmartFTP as the client for testing, but when ever I try and connect to my No-IP name I get:

"A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond."

I setup BPFTP to use passive mode IP so I entered my No-IP name which resolves to my WAN IP. Next I went into my router CP and added 1024 - 65535 in both Virtual Servers & Application Gateways but I still cannot connect.

I've also tried connectin in my browser and other FTP clients.

You shouldn't need to open all those ports for your server. If your Bulletproof FTP server is running on a special port, you should only need to open that one. (default for standard FTP is 21).

You can also try using a second PC to connect to your FTP server from inside your subnet. This way you know your FTP is setup and accepting connections and you can be sure your router is at fault.

Yes, you need to forward port 21 on the router. As for the passive mode ports, choose a smaller range - 10-100 ports depending on your expected usage and tell our FTP server to use only those. Forwarding all those ports effectively disables the firewall capabilities of your router.

Many routers are unable to do loopback connections so it may be impossible for you to test your own FTP server unless you use another computer outside your own network.

try FileZilla it is free and I think better.
should not have to open the port 21
but if you go through router open a high port like 4040
don't use the no ip service(unless your isp changes your address a lot) just add the port on to url
ftp://127.0.0.1:4040
if you are already familiar with ftp programs and have ftp'ed to and from other sites with a client ,this should tell you your router allows this communication.your isp is blocking the server side from port 21??
if you can't use a regular ftp client,it may be firwall software related
I used to use this server software ,but opted for a real gateway and don't tie up my machine so much

the normal sequence is:
use your id/passwd
then use the
'passive' cmd​
no extra ports need to be opened at all
if you can login, PASSIVE will solve all problems.

If he logs into his own site then "passive" won't really help. It's just switching between the FTP client opening ports and the FTP server opening ports.

I got interrupted last night ....

Using PASSIVE switchs which end opens the ports as Nodsu has noted.
The SERVER side behind a firewall should not be accessed this way, as a whole
raft of ports need to be forwarded from the firewall and then you might as well
unplug it -- there's little value for it being there.

Running FTP without passive, you only forward ports 20,21 and traffic will flow.
Now the password system on the server is your protection device for these two ports,
and the firewall protects the rest.

"...No-IP name which resolves to my WAN IP"
your WAN IP address has a name associated with your ISP. If you wish to have
a server on your LAN be accessible from the Internet, you must at least forward
port 21 (the control port) to the LAN ip address.

you can loop the ftp client -> internet wan address ->back to your ftp server
(I've done it many times). btw: you can test connectivity using
telnet 111.222.333.444 21​
if you get the FTP header, you've just connected to your server.
enter user $somename
and you'll get a prompt for the password for $somename
if it replies, do ls and that will confirm port 20 is also open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back