Setup not recognizing any Hard Disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently bought new parts and built a pc. This is the first one I have built but I had some help from friends in the process. Here's the stats on the computer I have in hopes it helps solve my problem:

ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 Socket 939 ULi M1695 ATX AMD Motherboard

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2000MHz HT 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor

Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

eVGA 256-P2-N553-AX Geforce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

When I first setup the computer everything worked fine, but I got a Trojan Virus called cmdService and was unable to reslove any issue with that. I used Hijackthis, Ewido, Spybot and Norton Antivirus and all were unable to delete the virus. Despite that issue the system still worked fine.

I had also had frequent Audio problems where the sound would just stop working. I went through many troubleshooting options to get it working again and sometimes it would work but then it would stop again. I read through several other forums and I think some lead me in the wrong direction. It now took about 5 minutes for windows to startup after login and I got these two error messages:

ALi 5289: Windows Sockets???

RUNDLL: Error loading w08b4021.dll The specified module could not be found.

I restarted the computer and reinstalled the OS (Windows XP) but it didn't solve anything. So I decided I would simply reformat my HD by using the Recovery Console on my Window XP CD. I don't remember exactly but I went through some steps so I could use the recovery console from boot (it gave me the options: Start Windows XP OS or Start Windows XP Recovery Consoloe).

After starting up the recovery console I got this message:
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer:

**STOP : 0x0000007B** (0xf7c7A524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I went to run CHKDSK but I got this message:
CHKDSK cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.

Now after rebooting the OS no longer starts up. Either the computer goes into a continuous loop of starting up and restarting or, if the windows xp installation disc is in, it will boot up with 3 options:
1) To setup XP press ENTER.
2) To repair XP press R
3) To exit without installing XP press F3

Pressing ENTER to install windows xp gives me the option to press F6 and install 3rd party SCI or RAID drivers, so I got onto my older computer and dl'd the drivers from the ASrock.com website and burned them onto a CD > restarted the computer and hit F6 when I got this option again.. but it wouldn't load these drivers when I put in the disc. I assume I need to do it from a floppy since it asked for the A: drive... but I have neither a floppy drive or discs for that matter.

When I choose repair from the 3 options listed above I get this message:
Setup did not find any hard disk installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected etc..

So this is where I'm stuck at now. 2 days of reading through lots of forums, messing with and messing up my computer to try to get it fixed and I'm stuck with a new pc that cycles through startup and restart w/o the windows installation disc in the drive and tells me that no hard disc is installed when the win xp disc is in the drive.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help with this. I'll be checking this topic regularly so if you need any more information I'll update ASAP.

Reset your bios by removing the cmos battery for a few minutes then put it back in. Only connect the hard drive that you are installing Windows on. Boot from the XP cd and get into the install screen. Delete the current partition, then create a new partition in the unpartitioned space and do a full format. Then install Windows. See if this helps. If not you could have problems with your memory modules.

I removed the battery from the Motherboard for a few minutes and after putting it back in and turning on the computer I got this:

CMOS Checksum bad
CMOS Date/Time not set
Press F2 to run setup
Press F1 to load default values and continue

I pressed F1 at first and it went back into the continuous loop of starting up and restarting, so I opened the BIOS and had the computer boot from HD instead of Floppy by default and the same thing happened. I went back into BIOS and had it boot from CD which still brought me back up to where I was.. unable to install Win XP or use the Recovery Console because I still got this message:

Setup did not find any hard disk installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected etc..

I removed the battery once more and pressed F2 this time to run setup and it took me into the BIOS. This is where I stopped because I don't know much about the BIOS settings other than how to change where the computer boots from. If anyone has experience with the BIOS for this ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 I wonder if there is any setting I should change to help make the HD recognizeable.

I know the person above me said:
"Delete the current partition, then create a new partition in the unpartitioned space and do a full format"

And I'm not sure where I would do this.. either in the BIOS or the RAID settings? Maybe elaborate on where this is at and how exactly I would do this.

The other thing you had mentioned is that my memory modules might be bad. Assuming you are talking about my RAM I removed them both and put them into my other computer and they both ran fine. I also took the old RAM from the other computer and put them into this newer computer and nothing changed.

So, I guess if there's any BIOS settings that need to be changed just let me know. Otherwise I'll assume that either the HD is corrupt, something is wrong with the Motherboard or maybe there's something wrong with the Serial ATA Cable.

There was one other thing I forgot to list. When going through the boot section of the BIOS it does notice that the HD is there, because it lists it as a boot option:

IDE: WDC WD1600JS-6

So if BIOS can find the HD to boot from, I don't understand why "setup can not find any hard disk drives installed in my computer."

nothing to do with bios reset or removing the battery
you could do same by using the jumpers on the board should not play with the battery unless very urgent issues can corrupt bios
the issue is you can't get to the drive without the drivers
how did you load the os the first time without drivers
use the disc that came with the board

or if you can use the other machine to erase drive you need to erase the mbr
as virus's lerk here as well it's called over write of drive 0 wipe take a while to do

I am having the same issue the previous member mentioned, and have searched all threads. This one makes the most sense.

I had problems with a SATA HDD, probably due to a virus. Each time after repairing windows, it would work for a couple days, thhen go into a continuous reboot. After dealing with this for a week, I reformatted the drive, and tried installing XP on there fresh. It starts the setup process and indicates it can't find any harddisks. Tried new Sata cable, and after that didnt work, I was stupid, and went out and bought a brand new SATA HDD, which comes with a CD disk utility, but not a floppy.

I still get the error that it cannot find a HDD when running the windows setup. am I missing drivers for the motherboard that recognizes the SATA drive? I put the pc together about 3 years ago, so it's possible I still have the motherboard cd around, I just don't remember what steps I took to get everything setup, I followed all the paperwork that came with the hardware, then probably promptly threw it in the trash :) Do you have any tips for installing a new harddrive, that is not being recognized? It has a utility cd, but I'm not sure what files would need to be copied onto a floppy that it is looking for.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
07-18-2006, 06:12 PM
Samstoned
TechSpot Paladin Location: the pitts
System specs

nothing to do with bios reset or removing the battery
you could do same by using the jumpers on the board should not play with the battery unless very urgent issues can corrupt bios
the issue is you can't get to the drive without the drivers
how did you load the os the first time without drivers
use the disc that came with the board

or if you can use the other machine to erase drive you need to erase the mbr
as virus's lerk here as well it's called over write of drive 0 wipe take a while to do

I forgot my manners, since today was my first post, I would like to say HI :wave: to all the techies out there. I'm a newbie. Enjoy getting tips from all while reading through the threads.

Not recognizing SATA HDD's

I've updated my profile with my system specs.
I've got my Gigabyte disk utility, a bootable Windows system CD, and the HDD Disc Utility cd for the Seagate Sata drive

I have been puzzleing over this and wonder what type of HDD you have? If you are seeing "IDE" in the BIOS where your drive seems to be......If it's a SATA as you say: (serial HDD): why would it come up on your bios as "IDE WDC WD1600JS-6"? A Sata 3 GB/sec. Hdd would read "Sata1" or "Sata 2" depending on which connector it's plugged in to.

upon turning on the computer, the only IDE it shows is AOPEN for the DVDrom
Next when scanning devices, the following pops up
Serial_Channel0:Array0 Raid-1
Serial_channel1:Array0 Raid-2
if I hit Tab, i get VIA Tech VT8237 Sata raid bios ver 2.31
and it shows
Serial_Ch0 Master ST3320620AS Array 0 SATA 298.09 Source
Serial_Ch1 Master WDC WD800JD-22JN Array 0 SATA 74.53 Mirror

oops, look like I started something when I was looking around in this section. The WD was formated (from a different computer) and the Seagate is a brand new hdd.

Hard drives that are formatted on a different PC almost never boot in to Windows on a new board.. I have done it only occasionally. I am going to tell you that I know (nothing) about RAID configurations. If it were me in this situation I would leave the RAID stuff alone for now. Your goal is to get a working PC. I understand that your CD-ROM is the IDE hookup that I saw. I went to the WD website and found your 160 GB Sata 2 drive. Forget the mirror. Use the drive that's not previously formatted and unplug the power to the other HDD for now. Format your program and fly solo on hard disks for now. I want to see your machine up and running soldier! By the way...Good Luck.

LOL thanks, I can't remember why, now, that I had hooked up the WD one again. I think I was just checking to see if it was detected (yes, it was late). And now that I have two Sata's in there, is probably why the raid stuff was popping up. I will take out the WD, and just leave the brand new, out of the box, Seagate hooked up, make sure Bios is set to boot from CD rom, and put that windows disk back in there. I will probably still get that it is not detecting any harddisks, but I will check'er again. Thanks
Lisa

I guess I am truly lost as to the order I need to be doing this install. Or possibly I need a different windows disk to install the new HDD.

The motherboard/bios is recognizing the harddrive.
If I try to boot from CD, and use the MB Utility disk, it says error:your hdd does not support HPA.
If I boot from CD with the Windows XP disk, when choosing install XP, it does not detect harrdisks.
If I choose the F6 option to install SCSI or Raid, it asks to insert a floppy, but only a cd came with the HDD. who uses floppies anymore :p. Am I doing this in all the wrong order?

Have you inserted a disc at the f6 command before? Anything that would confuse the machine?. Are you using a hard disk that is a "virgin" disk? Are you including your hardisk in the 'boot order'. In other words...#1. 'Boot from...CD-ROM'. #2. 'Hardisc' at least listed in the 'boot order'? You haven't 'disabled' all other drives?

At F6,it asks to put the install disk in A: I put in the Seagate utility disk, but it doesnt detect it, as it's probably only looking for softare in A: (this could be a challenge, or at least time consuming to get files onto a floppy)
Virging HDD, brand new out of the box. Boot order is CD-Rom, HDD0, Floppy. I havent disabled anything else. I'm thinking there must be something missing with drivers, but don't know which step I need to take to get there. Or maybe I need a different XP install cd.
I checked on Seagates page, and they have a "floppy diskette creator" which may be what I need to get the F6 option to work. Will just take me some time to find a floppy, drive somewhere with a computer that has a floppy (only other pc I have is a laptop without floppy)

Yes. Make that 3rd party driver disc. That should prepare your hard drive to be seen. Post your success so I can learn about this too. I've gone a long way with you on your problem and you could teach me a lot. Later.

thanks

I will make the Seagate Hdd floppy, and also a Gigabyte Motherboard Sata driver to floppy as well. I will let you know if either work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back