Setup only detects 131068mB of HDD space, but bios detects all of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

REB_ElMagnifico

I just did a lot of playing with all of my computer equipment in order to learn a bit...anyways I took my 300 gB HDD from one computer and put it on a lesser computer, on which I am going to install an evaluation version of Win2000 Server. Then I took the 40 gG HDD from the lesser computer and put in on the better computer.

Ok...now the problem...Win2000 server setup recognizes 131068 mB of hdd space on two seperate unpartitioned spaces. And I find this abnormal for 3 reasons...
first - I know windows will only recognize 137 gB of each partition, but why 131 gB.
second - usually unpartitioned space is combined into one, not 2 seperate spots
And by the way, everything worked fine before the HDD swap and everything reads fine in the BIOS.

I also tried to partition the hdd before the installation with a seagate utility that came with the hdd, but windows wouldn't recognize that properly either.

Thanks for any suggestions.

The 'lesser' PC may not be able to handle such big HDs. Check that 48-bit support is available and activated in the BIOS. Or get a BIOS update.
Also, check the Master/Slave jumpers. And are you using 40-wire IDE cable instead of 80-wire?

You have to enable 48-bit addressing in Windows too. With Win2k you need at least SP3 for the option to be available I think.

I thought only Intel mobo chipsets could use 48-bit addressing. A friend of mine had this problem before with an SATA drive and the solution given to him (because he had an nForce chipset and not Intel) was to go and buy an Ultra ATA/133 card to provide support for the 48-bit LBA.

You are saying that only Intel users are able to use hard drives larger than 137GB? Come on, don't be silly..
The Windows 2000 48-bit LBA bug is related to Intel controllers only though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back