Setup Powers Off System

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Blackbird002 that has been running great for almost 2 years. Recently I started getting some hard error that causes the system to shutdown. When I power back up and use DEL to go into setup mode, just after the setup screen appears the system powers off.

I have been messing around for a week trying all kinds of stuff. If i go directly to a boot drive or CD the system comes up and runs fine. I have run PC DOctor diagnostics on the running system and boot CD. I have tested memory with memtest34a and memetest86 4.0, and even replaced all of them with another set.

Motherboard is a ASUS Striker Extreme with Intel 8650 quad at 3G and Nvidia 8800 Ultras (in or out of SLI mode). Temperature is running 38C for motherboard and 47C CPU.

If I let the system set for 2 days or more everything seems to run OK since I can get into setup mode.

Any one experince something like this?

All the water cooling is fine, does the guew every losen up on the CPU?

At my end point, can't figure out what is toasted at this point. CPU, mother board or maybe the PSU.

Only thing I have changed of the last quarter is Microsoft patches, including Vista 32 bit SP2 and Office 2007.

If you have a clue, thanks in advance....
Mark

You made the right recommendation :)

I just got a new one installed and life is good. The only difference I could find was the 12 output was 14.51 on the old one and 14.72 on the new one. I my case the list difference was magic.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back